Lucas County, Ohio
Lucas County was created on June 20, 1835 from Wood County and Sandusky County. This county was named for Robert Lucas (1781–1853), Governor of Ohio when the county was created .
The Lucas County Seat is located in Toledo also, the county government website is www.lucascountyoh.gov .
Areas bordering to Lucas County are Monroe County, Michigan (north), Essex County, Ontario (northeast), Ottawa County (southeast), Wood County (south), Henry County (southwest), Fulton County (west), Lenawee County, Michigan (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Lucas County include Maumee, Oregon, Sylvania, Toledo, Berkey, Harbor View, Holland, Ottawa Hills, Swanton, Waterville, Whitehouse. Other communities include Monclova, Neapolis, Providence.
Lucas County Townships include Harding, Jerusalem, Monclova, Providence, Richfield, Spencer, Springfield, Swanton, Sylvania, Washington, Waterville.
Lucas County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lucas County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Lucas County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lucas Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lucas Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lucas Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lucas County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lucas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lucas County Chapter, OGS, 325 N. Michigan St., Toledo, OH 43624-1614; Lucas County Chapter, OGS meets at the Toledo-Lucas County Library, 325 N. Michigan St., in downtown Toledo on the third Saturday of each month, except July, August, and December at 1:30pm. This OGS Chapter seeks to foster and encourage an interest in preserving the historical and genealogical records of Lucas County. It sponsors the First Families of Lucas County and publishes indexed genealogical works to aid in researching individual heritage.
- Maumee Valley Historical Society, 1031 River Rd, Maumee, OH 43537-3460; Phone: (419) 893-9602; The Lucas County/Maumee Valley Historical Society operates the Wolcott House Museum Complex--six historic buildings including: the Wolcott House, an example of Federal architecture built in 1830; a log home from the banks of the Miami and Erie Canal; an 1840s saltbox-style farmhouse; the Clover Leaf Railroad Depot from the 1800s, the Monclova United Brethren Church; and an 1840 Greek Revival-style townhouse.
- Sylvania Area Historical Society, The, 5717 N Main St, Sylvania, OH 43560-1985; Phone: (419) 841-4892;
- Waterville Historical Society, PO Box 263, Waterville, OH 43566-0263; Phone: (419) 878-8695; The Waterville Historical Society maintains both the Robbins House and the Sargent House as historical museums, and provides walking tours of Waterville's Historic District. Currently it is renovating the Wakeman Masonic Lodge into a meeting area and display location.
- Western Lake Erie Historical Society, 300 Phillips Ave Ste 343, Toledo, OH 43612-1491; Phone: (419) 478-0008; The Western Lake Erie Historical Society maintains the Willis B. Boyer (a 617-foot long lake freighter, circa 1911). Several staterooms have been converted into a museum containing lake-shipping exhibits and a major museum is being developed in the center hold (cargo space).
- Lucas County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lucas County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lucas County
- Lucas County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lucas County
Lucas County Courthouse and Government Records
Lucas County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Lucas County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Lucas County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lucas County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Lucas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 800 Adams St, Toledo 43624
- Phone: (419) 213-4000
- Lucas County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 700 Adams Street, Suite 200, Toledo, Ohio 43604
- Phone: (419) 213-4775
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1835
- Lucas County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: One Government Center #700, 640 Jackson Street, Toledo, OH 43604
- Phone: 419-213-4400
- Land Records: 1808
- Lucas County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 700 Adams St., Toledo, OH 43604-5658
- Phone: (419) 213-4484
- Court Records: 1835
- The Lucas County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Lucas County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lucas County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Lucas County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lucas Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lucas Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lucas Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lucas Co. OH Census Records
Lucas Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lucas Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Lucas Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lucas Co. OH General and History Websites
Lucas Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Lucas Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lucas Co. OH Military Records
AlpineLucas Co. OH Schools & Directories