Lorain County, Ohio
Lorain County was created on December 26, 1822 from Cuyahoga County, Huron County and Medina County (Organized in 1824). This county was named for the Province of Lorraine, France .
The Lorain County Seat is located in Elyria also, the county government website is www.loraincounty.us/ .
Areas bordering to Lorain County are Ontario, Canada (north), Cuyahoga County (east), Medina County (southeast), Ashland County (south), Huron County (southwest), Erie County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Lorain County include Amherst, Elyria, Oberlin, Avon, Lorain, Sheffield Lake, Avon Lake, North Ridgeville, Vermilion, Grafton, Rochester, South Amherst, Kipton, Sheffield, Wellington, LaGrange . Other communities include Include Brentwood Lake.
Lorain County Townships include Amherst, Eaton, New Russia, Brighton, Elyria, Penfield, Brownhelm, Grafton, Pittsfield, Camden, Henrietta, Rochester, Carlisle, Huntington, Sheffield, Columbia, LaGrange, Wellington.
Lorain County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lorain County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Lorain County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lorain Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lorain Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lorain Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lorain County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lorain County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lorain County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 865, Elyria, OH 44036-0865; Lorain County Chapter, OGS has regular meetings at North Ridgeville Public Library, 7pm on the second Monday unless otherwise stated. Special meetings will be announced in The Researcher. The Lorain County Chapter maintains the Hicks Memorial Library located within the Hickories Museum located at 509 Washington Avenue in Elyria.
- Lorain County Historical Society, 509 Washington Ave, Elyria, OH 44035-5128'Phone: (440) 322-3341; The Lorain County Historical Society maintains the Hickories Museum, an 1895 mansion with period furnishings and architectural and decorative details intact. The former servants rooms currently house a local history and genealogy library. The museum also features changing exhibits on Lorain County's rich cultural heritage. Museum tours Tuesday through Saturday 1:00 and 2:30 p.m. or by appointment.
- Amherst Historical Society, 113 S Lake St, Amherst, OH 44001-2009; Phone: (440) 988-7255; The Amherst Historical Society has developed an OAHSM certified museum of local history. The Sandstone Center Living History Museum contains a one-room school, church, and octagonal barn, along with an "Amherst" room, and a 1930-era kitchen as well as a Greek revival sandstone house.
- Avon Historical Society , 35748 Detroit Rd, Avon, OH 44011-1657; Phone: (440) 937-5516; The Avon Historical Society focuses on education and preservation.
- Belden Historical Society, 246 Miller Ct, Elyria, OH 44035-8118; Phone: (440) 926-2680; The Belden Historical Society maintains a museum, a one-room schoolhouse, and a Veterans Park. Tours and reenactments are provided at the schoolhouse site by appointment.
- Black River Historical Society, 309 W 5th St, Lorain, OH 44053-3330; Phone: (440) 245-2563; The Black River Historical Society maintains the Moore House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as it's museum. The Society's collection includes photographs, artifacts and histories of Lorain, its people, and its industries, past and present. "Suitcase Talks" are available for educational programming for schools and groups.
- Carlisle Township Historical Society, 12064 Robson Rd, Grafton, OH 44044-9163; Phone: (440) 458-4375; The Carlisle Township Historical Society has local artifacts to increase public awareness of the area's local history. The historical and genealogy society is small and meets at the Carlisle Fire Station, which was an old schoolhouse.
- Columbia Historical Society Inc, PO Box 983, Columbia Station, OH 44028-0983; Phone: (440) 236-8170; The Columbia Historical Society promotes interest in the local history of the area by maintaining a former farmhouse as the Bronson House Museum. The museum is the last home of the first pioneer woman, Sally Bronson, in Columbia Township in 1807.
- Grafton Village History Association, 960 Main St, Grafton, OH 440441432
- North Ridgeville Historical Society Inc, 145 Stanford Ave, Elyria, OH 44035-6009; Phone: (440) 322-9669; The North Ridgeville Historical Society maintains the main floor of the Old Town Hall, used as a community museum, and is restoring a one-room frame school for future tours.
- Oberlin Heritage Center, PO Box 0455, Oberlin, OH 44074-0455; Phone: (440) 774-1700; The mission of Oberlin Heritage Center/O.H.I.O. is to preserve and share Oberlin's unique heritage and to make its community a better place to live, learn, work and visit. It offers guided tours of the Oberlin Heritage Center and many public programs throughout the year.
- Pittsfield Township Historical Society, 18938 Pitts Rd, Wellington, OH; Phone: (440) 647-2203;
- Rochester Historical Society, 49707 Griggs Rd, Wellington, OH 44090-9247; Phone: (440) 647-4865; The Society preserves the history and artifacts of Rochester and maintains the Old Rochester Depot.
- Sheffield Village Historical Society & Cultural Center, 4921 Detroit Rd, Garfield Farms, Sheffield Village, OH 44054; Phone: (440) 934-1514
- Southern Lorain County Historical Society, PO Box 76, Wellington, OH 44090-0076; Phone: (440) 647-4367; The Southern Lorain County Historical Society preserves the area's heritage and administers the Spirit of '76 Museum. It houses over a dozen original paintings of Archibald McNeil Willard, the Ohio wagon painter who created the inspirational "Spirit of 76" paintings, and over 6,000 other area artifacts.
- Lorain County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lorain County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lorain County
- Lorain County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lorain County
Lorain County Courthouse and Government Records
Lorain County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Lorain County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Lorain County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lorain County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
Lorain County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lorain County.
Lorain Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lorain Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lorain Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lorain Co. OH Census Records
Lorain Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lorain Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Lorain Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lorain Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Lorain County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- History of north central Ohio : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Oberlin : the colony and the college, 1833-1883 (search.ancestry.com)
- Reminiscences of Elyria, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- The early history of Lorain County (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of the First Congregational Church of Wellington, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Lorain County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Lorain County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Lorain Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Lorain County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Lorain County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Lorain (cyndislist.com)
- Lorain Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Lorain County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Lorain Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Lorain Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Lorain Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lorain Co. OH Military Records
AlpineLorain Co. OH Schools & Directories