Lorain County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lorain County, Ohio Facts
When was Lorain County, OH Created?
Lorain County was created on December 26, 1822 from Cuyahoga County, Huron County and Medina County (Organized in 1824). This county was named for the Province of Lorraine, France .
What is the County Seat of Lorain County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Elyria also, the county government website is www.loraincounty.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Lorain County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Ontario, Canada (north), Cuyahoga County (east), Medina County (southeast), Ashland County (south), Huron County (southwest), Erie County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Lorain County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Amherst, Elyria, Oberlin, Avon, Lorain, Sheffield Lake, Avon Lake, North Ridgeville, Vermilion, Grafton, Rochester, South Amherst, Kipton, Sheffield, Wellington, LaGrange . Other communities include Include Brentwood Lake.
What townships are in Lorain County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Amherst, Eaton, New Russia, Brighton, Elyria, Penfield, Brownhelm, Grafton, Pittsfield, Camden, Henrietta, Rochester, Carlisle, Huntington, Sheffield, Columbia, LaGrange, Wellington.
Lorain County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Lorain County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lorain County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lorain County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Lorain County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Lorain County, OH Census Records
What Lorain County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lorain County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lorain Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lorain Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lorain Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Lorain County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Lorain County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Lorain County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lorain County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Lorain County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 308 2nd St., Elyria 44035-5506
- Phone: (440) 329-5536
- Lorain County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 225 Court Street, 6th Floor, Elyria, OH 44035
- Phone: (440) 329-5175
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1840
- Lorain County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 226 Middle Avenue - First Floor, Elyria, Ohio 44035
- Phone: 440-329-5148
- Land Records: ?
- Lorain County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 226 Middle Ave, Elyria OH 44035;
- Phone: 440-329-5176
- Court Records: 1824
- Lorain Co. Land Records
- Lorain Co. Court Records
- Lorain Co. Wills
- BLM Land Records
- Lorain County USGenWeb Archives Project
Lorain County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lorain County, OH?
A list of Lorain County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lorain County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 865, Elyria, OH 44036-0865; Lorain County Chapter, OGS has regular meetings at North Ridgeville Public Library, 7pm on the second Monday unless otherwise stated. Special meetings will be announced in The Researcher. The Lorain County Chapter maintains the Hicks Memorial Library located within the Hickories Museum located at 509 Washington Avenue in Elyria.
- Lorain County Historical Society, 509 Washington Ave, Elyria, OH 44035-5128'Phone: (440) 322-3341; The Lorain County Historical Society maintains the Hickories Museum, an 1895 mansion with period furnishings and architectural and decorative details intact. The former servants rooms currently house a local history and genealogy library. The museum also features changing exhibits on Lorain County's rich cultural heritage. Museum tours Tuesday through Saturday 1:00 and 2:30 p.m. or by appointment.
- Amherst Historical Society, 113 S Lake St, Amherst, OH 44001-2009; Phone: (440) 988-7255; The Amherst Historical Society has developed an OAHSM certified museum of local history. The Sandstone Center Living History Museum contains a one-room school, church, and octagonal barn, along with an "Amherst" room, and a 1930-era kitchen as well as a Greek revival sandstone house.
- Avon Historical Society , 35748 Detroit Rd, Avon, OH 44011-1657; Phone: (440) 937-5516; The Avon Historical Society focuses on education and preservation.
- Belden Historical Society, 246 Miller Ct, Elyria, OH 44035-8118; Phone: (440) 926-2680; The Belden Historical Society maintains a museum, a one-room schoolhouse, and a Veterans Park. Tours and reenactments are provided at the schoolhouse site by appointment.
- Black River Historical Society, 309 W 5th St, Lorain, OH 44053-3330; Phone: (440) 245-2563; The Black River Historical Society maintains the Moore House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as it's museum. The Society's collection includes photographs, artifacts and histories of Lorain, its people, and its industries, past and present. "Suitcase Talks" are available for educational programming for schools and groups.
- Carlisle Township Historical Society, 12064 Robson Rd, Grafton, OH 44044-9163; Phone: (440) 458-4375; The Carlisle Township Historical Society has local artifacts to increase public awareness of the area's local history. The historical and genealogy society is small and meets at the Carlisle Fire Station, which was an old schoolhouse.
- Columbia Historical Society Inc, PO Box 983, Columbia Station, OH 44028-0983; Phone: (440) 236-8170; The Columbia Historical Society promotes interest in the local history of the area by maintaining a former farmhouse as the Bronson House Museum. The museum is the last home of the first pioneer woman, Sally Bronson, in Columbia Township in 1807.
- Grafton Village History Association, 960 Main St, Grafton, OH 440441432
- North Ridgeville Historical Society Inc, 145 Stanford Ave, Elyria, OH 44035-6009; Phone: (440) 322-9669; The North Ridgeville Historical Society maintains the main floor of the Old Town Hall, used as a community museum, and is restoring a one-room frame school for future tours.
- Oberlin Heritage Center, PO Box 0455, Oberlin, OH 44074-0455; Phone: (440) 774-1700; The mission of Oberlin Heritage Center/O.H.I.O. is to preserve and share Oberlin's unique heritage and to make its community a better place to live, learn, work and visit. It offers guided tours of the Oberlin Heritage Center and many public programs throughout the year.
- Pittsfield Township Historical Society, 18938 Pitts Rd, Wellington, OH; Phone: (440) 647-2203;
- Rochester Historical Society, 49707 Griggs Rd, Wellington, OH 44090-9247; Phone: (440) 647-4865; The Society preserves the history and artifacts of Rochester and maintains the Old Rochester Depot.
- Sheffield Village Historical Society & Cultural Center, 4921 Detroit Rd, Garfield Farms, Sheffield Village, OH 44054; Phone: (440) 934-1514
- Southern Lorain County Historical Society, PO Box 76, Wellington, OH 44090-0076; Phone: (440) 647-4367; The Southern Lorain County Historical Society preserves the area's heritage and administers the Spirit of '76 Museum. It houses over a dozen original paintings of Archibald McNeil Willard, the Ohio wagon painter who created the inspirational "Spirit of 76" paintings, and over 6,000 other area artifacts.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Lorain County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Lorain County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lorain County.
Lorain Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lorain Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Lorain Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lorain Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Lorain County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- History of north central Ohio : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Oberlin : the colony and the college, 1833-1883 (search.ancestry.com)
- Reminiscences of Elyria, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- The early history of Lorain County (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of the First Congregational Church of Wellington, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Lorain County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Lorain County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Lorain Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Lorain County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Lorain County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Lorain (cyndislist.com)
- Lorain Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Lorain County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Lorain Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Lorain Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Lorain Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lorain Co. OH Military Records
AlpineLorain Co. OH Schools & Directories