Holmes County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Holmes County, Ohio Facts
When was Holmes County, OH Created?
Holmes County was created on January 20, 1824 from Wayne County, Coshocton County and Tuscarawas County (Organized in 1825). This county was named for Major Andrew Holmes (d. 1814), a War of 1812 officer .
What is the County Seat of Holmes County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Millersburg also, the county government website is www.co.holmes.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Holmes County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Wayne County (north), Stark County (
northeast), Tuscarawas County (east), Coshocton County (south), Knox County (southwest), Ashland County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Holmes County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Baltic, Glenmont, Holmesville, Killbuck, Loudonville, Millersburg, Nashville. Other communities include Berlin, Big Prairie, Charm, Lakeville, Mount Hope, Walnut Creek, Winesburg .
What townships are in Holmes County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Berlin, Clark, Hardy, Killbuck, Knox, Mechanic, Monroe, Paint, Prairie, Richland, Ripley, Salt Creek, Walnut Creek, Washington.
Holmes County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Holmes County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Holmes County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Holmes County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Holmes County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Holmes County, OH Census Records
What Holmes County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Holmes County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Holmes Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Holmes Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Holmes Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Holmes County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Holmes County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Holmes County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Holmes County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Holmes County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 E. Jackson St., Millersburg 44654-0000
- Phone: (330) 674-0286
- Holmes County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (330) 674-5881
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Probate Records: 1825
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908
- Holmes County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 75 E. Clinton St. Suite 101, Millersburg, OH 44654
- Phone: (330) 674-5916
- Land Records: 1808
- Holmes County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (330) 674-5086
- Court Records: 1825
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Holmes County USGenWeb Archives Project
Holmes County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Holmes County, OH?
A list of Holmes County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Holmes County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 136, Millersburg, OH 44654-0136; Holmes County Chapter, OGS meets at the Holmes County Library in Millersburg on the fourth Thursday of each month at 7:30pm. This OGS Chapter helps people researching their ancestors through consultation and with a newsletter that is rated as one of the top in the nation. In the last several years the group has considerably augmented the library's genealogical collection and has purchased a microfiche reader to aid researchers.
- County Line Historical Society of Wayne-Holmes County, 281 North Market St., Shreve, OH 44676-0614; Phone: 330-567-0071; The County Line Historical Society has a small but interesting collection of historical documents and items in their office and showrooms in the back of the Shreve Townhouse. They hold open houses starting in May through October on the second Saturday of the month from noon to 3 pm.
- Holmes County Historical Society, PO Box 126, Millersburg, OH 44654-0126; Phone: (330) 674-0022; The Holmes County Historical Society has restored a 28-room Queen Anne Victorian House, filled with period antiques, Holmes County History, artifacts, and pioneer tools.
- Killbuck Valley Historical Society, PO Box 142, Killbuck, OH 44637-0142; Phone: (330) 377-4572; The Killbuck Valley Historical Society supports programs designed for teaching the natural and human history of the Killbuck Valley area with an emphasis on geology, paleontology, and archaeology. The Museum's exhibits focus on zoology and local history, and a committee of teachers coordinates the Society's educational programs.
- Winesburg Historical Society, PO Box 14, Winesburg, OH 44690-0014; Phone: (419) 935-3765; The Winesburg Historical Society maintains the 1830 Marker Log House and is currently working on the 1876 Peters School House, dismantled and moved to its present site.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Holmes County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Holmes County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Holmes County.
Holmes Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Holmes Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Holmes Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Holmes Co. OH General and History Websites
Holmes Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Holmes Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Holmes Co. OH Military Records