Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Tuscarawas County, Ohio Facts
When was Tuscarawas County, OH Created?
Tuscarawas County was created on March 15, 1808 from Muskingum County. This county was named for the Tuscarawas River, meaning "open mouth river" or the Tuscarawas tribe who lived on the river .
What is the County Seat of Tuscarawas County, OH?
The County Seat is located in New Philadelphia also, the county government website is www.co.tuscarawas.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Tuscarawas County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Stark County (
north), Carroll County, Harrison County, Guernsey County, Coshocton County, Holmes County .
Tuscarawas County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Tuscarawas County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tuscarawas County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Tuscarawas County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Tuscarawas County, OH Census Records
What Tuscarawas County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Tuscarawas County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tuscarawas Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tuscarawas Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tuscarawas Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Tuscarawas County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Tuscarawas County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Tuscarawas County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Tuscarawas County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Tuscarawas County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Tuscarawas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 E., High Ave., New Philadelphia 44663
- Phone: (330) 364-8811
- Tuscarawas County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (330) 365-3266
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1809
- Tuscarawas County Recorder
- Address: 125 East High Avenue, New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663
- Phone: (330) 365-3284
- Land Records: ?
- Tuscarawas County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Address: 125 East High Avenue, Room 230, P. O. Box 628, New Philadelphia, OH 44663-0628
- Phone: 330-365-3243
- Court Records: 1808
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Tuscarawas County USGenWeb Archives Project
Tuscarawas County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tuscarawas County, OH?
A list of Tuscarawas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Tuscarawas County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 141, New Philadelphia, OH 44663-0141; Tuscarawas County Chapter, OGS meets at 307 Center St., Dennison, OH on the second Monday of each month at 7:30pm.
- Tuscarawas County Historical Society, PO Box 462, New Philadelphia, OH 44663-0462;Phone: (330) 339-3391 Ext 47494; The Tuscarawas County Historical Society maintains a historic markers program, has developed a county history for use in area schools, and collects records of area significance. The Society also operates the archives at the Tuscarawas Campus of Kent State University.
- Alpine Hills Historical Museum, PO Box 293, Sugarcreek, OH 44681-0293;Phone: (330) 852-4113; The Alpine Hills Historical Museum depicts the early days of the community and its Swiss and Amish heritage.
- Baltic-Area Historical Society, PO Box 40, Baltic, OH 43804-0040; Phone: (330) 897-7742; Harrison Coal & Reclamation Park is dedicated to the preservation of the coal and surface mining industry's history, heritage, and machinery. The organization's goal is to acquire and preserve Ohio's last stripping shovel "The Silver Spade" when retired from service. 9008830Chester-Shade Historical Association preserves the history and artifacts for future generations and provides educational programs, develops community pride, and attracts tourists to help boost the local economy.
- Dover Historical Society, 325 E Iron Ave, Dover, OH 44622-2105;Phone: (800) 815-2794; The J.E. Reeves Victorian Home is a 19th Century, 17-room mansion with original furnishings. The Carriage House Museum features historic artifacts including the Reeves family sleigh and carriage, a rare electric car, a doctor's buggy, and memorabilia surrounding Dover born, guerrilla Civil War leader, William Clark Quantrill.
- Gnadenhutten Historical Society , 156 Spring St, Gnadenhutten, OH 44629-9752; Phone: (740) 254-4143; The Gnadenhutten Historical Society contains arrowhead collections, old Bibles, books, and many artifacts from the 1800s donated by local residents. Located on the grounds are a reconstructed church, a coopers cabin, the burial mound of ninety Christian Indians who were massacred during the Revolutionary War, a monument, and one of the oldest tombstones in Ohio.
- Newcomerstown Historical Society, PO Box 443, Newcomerstown, OH 43832-0443; Phone: (740) 498-7735; The Newcomerstown Historical Society presents the history of Newcomerstown and the Delaware Indians as part of the nation's development.
- Port Washington-Salem Historical Society, PO Box 12, Port Washington, OH 43837-0012; Phone: (937) 787-4256; The Port Washington-Salem Historical Society operates the 1879 3-story Port Washington Town Hall. The Town Hall features a 3-story spiral staircase and displays of the Society's collection of local-interest manuscripts, books, and clothing.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Tuscarawas County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Tuscarawas County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Tuscarawas County.
Tuscarawas Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tuscarawas Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Tuscarawas Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tuscarawas Co. OH General and History Websites
Tuscarawas Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Tuscarawas Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tuscarawas Co. OH Military Records