Columbiana County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Columbiana County, Ohio Facts
When was Columbiana County, OH Created?
Columbiana County was created on May 1, 1803 from Jefferson County . This county was named for the words Christopher Columbus, European explorer of the Americas .
What is the County Seat of Columbiana County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Lisbon also, the county government website is www.columbianacounty.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Columbiana County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Mahoning County (north), Lawrence County, Pennsylvaina (northeast), Beaver County, Pennsylvaina (east), Hancock County, West Virginia (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Carroll County (southwest), Stark County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Columbiana County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Columbiana, East Liverpool, East Palestine, Salem, Hanoverton, Leetonia, Lisbon, Minerva, New Waterford, Rogers, Salineville, Summitville, Washingtonville, Wellsville. Other communities include East Rochester, Elkton, Homeworth, Kensington, Negley, North Georgetown, West Point, Winona .
What townships are in Columbiana County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Butler, Center, Elkrun, Fairfield, Franklin, Hanover, Knox, Liverpool, Madison, Middleton, Perry, Salem, St. Clair, Unity, Washington, Wayne, West, Yellow Creek.
Columbiana County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Columbiana County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Columbiana County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Columbiana County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Columbiana County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Columbiana County, OH Census Records
What Columbiana County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Columbiana County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Columbiana Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbiana Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbiana Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Columbiana County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Columbiana County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Columbiana County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Columbiana County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Columbiana County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 105 S. Market St., Lisbon 44432-1255
- Phone: (330) 424-9511
- Columbiana County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 330-424-9516
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1798
- Columbiana County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (330) 424-9517
- Land Records: 1803
- Columbiana County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 330- 424-7777
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Columbiana County USGenWeb Archives Project
Columbiana County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Columbiana County, OH?
A list of Columbiana County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Columbiana County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 861, Salem, OH 44460-0861; meets at the Freedom Hall in the Salem Historical Society Home at the corner of Pershing and Broadway, Salem, OH, on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm.
- Columbiana County Historical Association, PO Box 221, Lisbon, OH 44432-0221; The Columbiana County Historical Association has a barn like building on the grounds of the Columbiana County Fair. The Columbiana County Historical Association maintains the building and contents. It is open during the week long fair and by request. The museum is filled with farm machinery and material dating back over 100 years. Both farm and household material is displayed. In the planning stages is a program for a newly designed county flag.
- East Liverpool Historical Society , PO Box 476, East Liverpool, OH 43920-5476; Phone: (330) 385-2550; The East Liverpool Historical Society currently is restoring the interior of the 1876 C.C. Thompson House to its original Victorian appearance.
- East Palestine Area Historical Society, PO Box 176, East Palestine, OH 44413-0176; Phone: (330) 426-2788; The East Palestine Area Historical Society maintains a log house built in 1840 by the Ryan family. The Society's collections include local artifacts and photographs.
- Elkton Historical Society Inc, PO Box 55, Elkton, OH 44415-0055; Phone: (330) 227-3523; The Elkton Historical Society is a small historical organization. A festival is held each year during the third weekend in June to raise funds to keep the covered bridge, built in the early 1800s, in repair.
- Hanover Township Historcial Society, PO Box 361, Hanoverton, OH 44423-0361; Phone: (330) 223-1264; The Hanover Township Historical Society maintains its museum on the second floor of the former elementary school. The museum displays items of local historical interest and contains artifacts about the Sandy Beaver Canal of Columbiana County.
- Leetonia-Salem Township Historical Society, 4337 Grafton Rd, Leetonia, OH 44431-8705; Phone: (330) 427-3007
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Columbiana County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Columbiana County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Columbiana County.
Columbiana Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Columbiana Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Columbiana Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Columbiana Co. OH General and History Websites
Columbiana Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Columbiana Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Columbiana Co. OH Military Records
AlpineColumbiana Co. OH Schools & Directories