Wyoming County, New York
Wyoming County was created on May 19, 1841 from Genesee County. This particular county was named for a modification of a word from the Lenape language meaning "broad bottom lands".
The Wyoming County Seat can be found in Warsaw and in addition the county government website is www.wyomingco.net/
Regions neighboring Wyoming County include Genesee County (north), Livingston County (east), Allegany County (southeast), Cattaraugus County (southwest), Erie County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Wyoming County consists of Arcade (village), Arcade (town), Attica (town), Attica (village), Bennington (town), Castile (town), Castile (village), Covington (town), Eagle (town), Gainesville (village), Gainesville (town), Genesee Falls (town), Java (town), Middlebury (town), Orangeville (town), Perry (village), Perry (town), Pike (village), Pike (town), Portageville, Sheldon (town), Silver Springs (village), Warsaw (village), Warsaw (town), Wethersfield (town), Wyoming (village).
Wyoming County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wyoming County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Wyoming County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wyoming Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyoming Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyoming Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Wyoming County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wyoming County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Sheldon Historical Society, P.O. Box 122, Strykersville,NY 14145, Phone: (585) 457-7033
- Western New York Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, New York 14075-0338
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Cordelia A. Greene Library, P.O.Box 208, 11 South Main Street, Castile, NY 14427, Phone: 1-585-493-5466
- Town of Gainesville Public Library, 10 Church Street, Silver Springs, NY 14550, Phone: 1-585-427-4300
- Pike Library, 65 West Main Street, Pike, NY 14130, Phone: 1-585-493-5900
- Warsaw Public Library, 130 N Main St., Warsaw, NY 28398, Phone: 1-585-786-5606
- School House Museum, 3859 Main Street, Strykersville, NY 14145, Phone: (585) 457-7033
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Wyoming County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wyoming County
- Wyoming County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wyoming County
- USGenWeb Archives for Wyoming County (usgwarchives.net)
Wyoming County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Wyoming County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Wyoming County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Wyoming County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Wyoming County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 147 North Main Street, Warsaw, NY 14569
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Wyoming County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 143 North Main Street, Suite 104, P.O. Box 70, Warsaw, NY 14569-1123
- Phone: 716-786-8810
- Land Records: 1841 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1841
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Wyoming County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: 585-786-3148
- Probate Records: 1841 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Wyoming County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Wyoming County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 26 Linwood Ave, Warsaw, NY 14569
- Phone: 585-786-8818
Wyoming County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Wyoming County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Wyoming County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wyoming Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wyoming Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wyoming Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wyoming Co. NY Census Records
Wyoming Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wyoming Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Wyoming Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wyoming Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Wyoming County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Complete name index to Beers' History of Wyoming County, N.Y., 1880 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of northwestern New York : Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical review : this volume contains biographical sketches of the leading citizens of Livingston and Wyoming Counties, Ne (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the town of Warsaw, New York from its first settlement to the present time : with numerous family sketches and biogr (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Wyoming County, N.Y. : with illustrations, biographical sketches, and portraits of some pioneers and prominent resid (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the centennial celebration : Warsaw, Wyoming County, New York June 28-July 2, 1903 (search.ancestry.com)
- Wyoming County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wyoming Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Wyoming County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Wyoming (cyndislist.com)
- Wyoming County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Wyoming Co. NYGenweb (bettysgenealogy.org)
- Wyoming County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wyoming Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wyoming Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Wyoming Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wyoming Co. NY Military Records