Allegany County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Allegany County, New York Facts
When was Allegany County, NY Created?
Allegany County was created on April 7, 1806 from Genessee County.
Allegany County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Allegany County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Allegany County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Allegany County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Allegany County, NY Census Records
What Allegany County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Allegany County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Allegany Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegany Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegany Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Allegany County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Allegany County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Allegany County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Allegany County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Allegany County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 7 Court Street, Belmont, New York 14813
- Allegany County Clerk
- Phone: 585-268-9270
- Land Records: 1807
- Court Records: 1807
- Allegany County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 585.268.5800
- Probate Records:1807
- Allegany County Historian
- Address: Court Street, Belmont, NY 14813
- Phone: 585-268-9293
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Allegany County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Allegany County, NY?
A list of Allegany County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Western New York Genealogical Society, Inc., 5859 S Park Ave, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, NY 14075-0338
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Allegany County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Allegany County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Allegany County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Allegany County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allegany County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.