Schuyler County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Schuyler County, New York genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Schuyler Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Schuyler County was created on April 17, 1854 from Tompkins County, Steuben County and Chemung County. This particular county was named in honor of Philip Schuyler (1733–1804), the American Revolutionary War general and Senator from New York .
The Schuyler County Seat can be found in Watkins Glen and in addition the county government website is schuylercounty.us/
Regions neighboring Schuyler County include Seneca County (north), Tompkins County (east), Chemung County (south), Steuben County (west), Yates County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Schuyler County consists of Burdett (village), Catharine (town), Cayuta (town), Dix (town), Hector (town), Montour (town), Montour Falls (village), Odessa (village), Orange (town), Reading (town), Tyrone (town), Watkins Glen (village).
Schuyler County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Schuyler Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schuyler Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schuyler Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Schuyler County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Schuyler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Schuyler County Historical Society, NY, 108 N. Catharine Street, P.O. Box 651, Montour Falls, NY 14865, Phone: 607-535-9741; The collection is held at the museum and "The research room has copied records of births, marriages, and deaths in Schuyler County, family records, past editions of The Review, the Watkins Express, the Havana Journal, and school yearbooks.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Schuyler County Historical Society Museum, 108 N. Catharine Street (Rt. 14), P.O. Box 651, Montour Falls, New York 14865, Phone: 607-535-9741
- Watkins Glen Public Library, 610 S. Decatur Street, Watkins Glen, New York 14891, Phone: 607-535-2346
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Schuyler County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Schuyler County
- Schuyler County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Schuyler County
- USGenWeb Archives for Schuyler County (usgwarchives.net)
Schuyler County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Schuyler County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Schuyler County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Schuyler county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county.
- Schuyler County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 105 Ninth Street, Watkins Glen, NY 14891
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Schuyler County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages. All Land and Naturalization records are maintained at the Schuyler County Clerk's Office. The Schuyler County Courthouse has an exceptionally well maintained and organized set of records dating back to the incorporation of the County.in 1854. There are transcribed copies of indices from Steuben, Chemung and Tompkins Counties, the three counties Schuyler was formed from. The office also has the local census from the years 1855, 1860, 1864, 1870, 1875, 1880, 1915 and 1925 as well as naturalization records including applications for citizenship, declarations of intentions to become a citizen, and petitions that date from 1864 - 1954.
- Phone: 607-535-8133
- Land Records: 1854 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1854
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Schuyler County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: (607) 535-7144
- Probate Records: 1854 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Schuyler County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Schuyler County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 3460 County Route 28, Watkins Glen, New York 14891
- Phone: 607-535-4577
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Schuyler County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Schuyler County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Schuyler County genealogy or family history related sites.
Schuyler Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Schuyler Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Schuyler Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Schuyler Co. NY Census Records
Schuyler Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Schuyler Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Schuyler Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Schuyler Co. NY General and History Websites
Schuyler Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Schuyler Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Schuyler Co. NY Military Records
Schuyler Co. NY Schools & Directories