Schuyler County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Schuyler County, New York Facts
When was Schuyler County, NY Created?
Schuyler County was created on April 17, 1854 from Tompkins County, Steuben County and Chemung County. This particular county was named in honor of Philip Schuyler (1733–1804), the American Revolutionary War general and Senator from New York .
What is the County Seat of Schuyler County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Watkins Glen and in addition the county government website is schuylercounty.us/
What counties are adjacent to Schuyler County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Seneca County (north), Tompkins County (east), Chemung County (south), Steuben County (west), Yates County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Schuyler County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Burdett (village), Catharine (town), Cayuta (town), Dix (town), Hector (town), Montour (town), Montour Falls (village), Odessa (village), Orange (town), Reading (town), Tyrone (town), Watkins Glen (village).
Schuyler County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Schuyler County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Schuyler County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Schuyler County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Schuyler County, NY Census Records
What Schuyler County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Schuyler County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Schuyler Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schuyler Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schuyler Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Schuyler County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Schuyler County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Schuyler County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Schuyler County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Schuyler County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 105 Ninth Street, Watkins Glen, NY 14891
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Schuyler County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages. All Land and Naturalization records are maintained at the Schuyler County Clerk's Office. The Schuyler County Courthouse has an exceptionally well maintained and organized set of records dating back to the incorporation of the County.in 1854. There are transcribed copies of indices from Steuben, Chemung and Tompkins Counties, the three counties Schuyler was formed from. The office also has the local census from the years 1855, 1860, 1864, 1870, 1875, 1880, 1915 and 1925 as well as naturalization records including applications for citizenship, declarations of intentions to become a citizen, and petitions that date from 1864 - 1954.
- Phone: 607-535-8133
- Land Records: 1854 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1854
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Schuyler County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: (607) 535-7144
- Probate Records: 1854 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Schuyler County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Schuyler County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 3460 County Route 28, Watkins Glen, New York 14891
- Phone: 607-535-4577
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Schuyler County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Schuyler County, NY?
A list of Schuyler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Schuyler County Historical Society, NY, 108 N. Catharine Street, P.O. Box 651, Montour Falls, NY 14865, Phone: 607-535-9741; The collection is held at the museum and "The research room has copied records of births, marriages, and deaths in Schuyler County, family records, past editions of The Review, the Watkins Express, the Havana Journal, and school yearbooks.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Schuyler County Historical Society Museum, 108 N. Catharine Street (Rt. 14), P.O. Box 651, Montour Falls, New York 14865, Phone: 607-535-9741
- Watkins Glen Public Library, 610 S. Decatur Street, Watkins Glen, New York 14891, Phone: 607-535-2346
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Schuyler County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Schuyler County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Schuyler County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Schuyler Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Schuyler Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Schuyler Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Schuyler Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Schuyler Co. NY General and History Websites
Schuyler Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Schuyler Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Schuyler Co. NY Military Records
Schuyler Co. NY Schools & Directories