Orleans County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Orleans County, New York genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Orleans Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Orleans County was created on November 11, 1824 from Genesee County. This particular county was named for the French Royal House of Orléans.
The Orleans County Seat can be found in Albion and in addition the county government website is orleansny.com/
Regions neighboring Orleans County include Lake Ontario and Canada (north), Monroe County (east), Genesee County (south), Niagara County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Orleans County consists of Albion (village), Albion (town), Barre (town), Carlton (town), Clarendon (town), Gaines (town), Holley (village), Kendall (town), Lyndonville (village), Medina (village), Murray (town), Ridgeway (town), Shelby (town), Yates (town).
Orleans County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orleans Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Orleans County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Orleans County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Orleans County Genealogical Society, Albion Town Hall, 3665 Clarendon Road, PO Box 103, Albion NY 14411
- Orleans County Historical Association, P.O. Box 181, Albion NY 14411
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Brockport New York Family History Center, 4088 Lake Rd, Brockport, New York, 1-585-637-2030
- Rochester New York Family History Center, 1400 Westfall Rd, Rochester, New York 14618, 1-585-271-5040
- Buffalo New York Family History Center, 1424 Maple Rd, Williamsville, New York 14221, 1-716-688-2439
- Nioga Library System, 6575 Wheeler Rd, Lockport NY 14094, 716-434-6167
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Orleans County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Orleans County
- Orleans County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Orleans County
- USGenWeb Archives for Orleans County (usgwarchives.net)
Orleans County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Orleans County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Orleans County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Orleans County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Orleans County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse Square, 1 South Main Street, Albion, NY 14411-1497
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Orleans County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 585-589-5334
- Land Records: 1824 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1824
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Orleans County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 26 E. State Street, Albion, NY 14411
- Phone: (585) 589-4457
- Probate Records: 1824 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Orleans County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Orleans County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 3070 Gaines Basin Road, Albion, NY 14411
- Phone: (585) 589-4174
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Orleans County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Orleans County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Orleans County genealogy or family history related sites.
Orleans Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orleans Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Orleans Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Orleans Co. NY Census Records
Orleans Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Orleans Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Orleans Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orleans Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Orleans County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Landmarks of Orleans County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- History of northwestern New York : Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketches of the village of Albion : containing incidents of its history and progress from its first settlement and a statistica (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Clarendon from 1810 to 1888 (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical album of Orleans County, N.Y. : with illustrations descriptive of its scenery, private residences, public buildings, (search.ancestry.com)
- Record of the Orleans County Pioneer Association : original minutes, 1858 to 1905 (search.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Orleans Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Orleans County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Orleans (cyndislist.com)
- Orleans County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Orleans Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Orleans Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Orleans Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orleans Co. NY Military Records
Orleans Co. NY Schools & Directories