Orleans County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Orleans County, New York Facts
When was Orleans County, NY Created?
Orleans County was created on November 11, 1824 from Genesee County. This particular county was named for the French Royal House of Orléans.
What is the County Seat of Orleans County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Albion and in addition the county government website is orleansny.com/
What counties are adjacent to Orleans County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Lake Ontario and Canada (north), Monroe County (east), Genesee County (south), Niagara County (west).
What cities and towns are in Orleans County, NY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Albion (village), Albion (town), Barre (town), Carlton (town), Clarendon (town), Gaines (town), Holley (village), Kendall (town), Lyndonville (village), Medina (village), Murray (town), Ridgeway (town), Shelby (town), Yates (town).
Orleans County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Orleans County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Orleans County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Orleans County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Orleans County, NY Census Records
What Orleans County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Orleans County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orleans Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Orleans County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Orleans County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Orleans County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Orleans County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Orleans County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse Square, 1 South Main Street, Albion, NY 14411-1497
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Orleans County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 585-589-5334
- Land Records: 1824 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1824
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Orleans County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 26 E. State Street, Albion, NY 14411
- Phone: (585) 589-4457
- Probate Records: 1824 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Orleans County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Orleans County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 3070 Gaines Basin Road, Albion, NY 14411
- Phone: (585) 589-4174
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Orleans County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Orleans County, NY?
A list of Orleans County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Orleans County Genealogical Society, Albion Town Hall, 3665 Clarendon Road, PO Box 103, Albion NY 14411
- Orleans County Historical Association, P.O. Box 181, Albion NY 14411
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Brockport New York Family History Center, 4088 Lake Rd, Brockport, New York, 1-585-637-2030
- Rochester New York Family History Center, 1400 Westfall Rd, Rochester, New York 14618, 1-585-271-5040
- Buffalo New York Family History Center, 1424 Maple Rd, Williamsville, New York 14221, 1-716-688-2439
- Nioga Library System, 6575 Wheeler Rd, Lockport NY 14094, 716-434-6167
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Orleans County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Orleans County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Orleans County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Orleans Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orleans Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Orleans Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orleans Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Orleans County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Landmarks of Orleans County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- History of northwestern New York : Erie, Niagara, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketches of the village of Albion : containing incidents of its history and progress from its first settlement and a statistica (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Clarendon from 1810 to 1888 (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical album of Orleans County, N.Y. : with illustrations descriptive of its scenery, private residences, public buildings, (search.ancestry.com)
- Record of the Orleans County Pioneer Association : original minutes, 1858 to 1905 (search.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Orleans Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Orleans County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Orleans (cyndislist.com)
- Orleans County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Orleans Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Orleans Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Orleans Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orleans Co. NY Military Records
Orleans Co. NY Schools & Directories