Ontario County, New York
Genealogy and Facts
Ontario County was created on January 27, 1789 from Montgomery County. This particular county was named for an Iroquoian word meaning "beautiful lake" .
The Ontario County Seat can be found in Canandaigua and in addition the county government website is co.ontario.ny.us/
Regions neighboring Ontario County include Wayne County (northeast), Seneca County (east), Yates County (south), Steuben County (south), Livingston County (west), Monroe County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Ontario County consists of Canandaigua, Geneva, Bristol, Canadice, Canandaigua, East Bloomfield, Farmington, Geneva, Gorham, Hopewell, Manchester, Naples, Phelps, Richmond, Seneca, South Bristol, Victor, West Bloomfield. Villages include Bloomfield, Clifton Springs, Manchester, Naples, Phelps, Rushville, Shortsville, Victor.
Ontario County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ontario County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Ontario County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ontario Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ontario Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ontario Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Ontario County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ontario County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ontario County Historical Historical Society and Museum, 55 North Main Street,
Canandaigua, New York 14424; Phone: 585 394-4975
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Western New York Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, New York 14075-0338
- Pioneer Library System has names and addresses of libraries in Ontario, Livingston, Wayne, and Wyoming counties. ,
- Ontario Public Library, 1850 Ridge Road Ontario, NY 14519, phone: (315) 524-8381
- Bloomfield Public Library, 9 Church St, E Bloomfield, NY 14443, phone: 585-657-6264
- Bristol Library, 6750 County Rd 32 Canandaigua, NY 14424, phone: (585) 229-5862. Web site explains about the local history and genealogy resources with information about the Town of Bristol Historian. Requests may made to the town historian.
- Geneva Public Library, Local History and Genealogy Collection
- Ontario County Public Libraries
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Ontario County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ontario County
- Ontario County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ontario County
- USGenWeb Archives for Ontario County (usgwarchives.net)
Ontario County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Ontario County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Ontario County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Ontario County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Ontario County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 27 North Main Street, Canandaigua, New York 14424
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Ontario County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages. Deed records–and mortgages to 1920–are at the Ontario County Department of Records, Archives, and Information Management Services, 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua 14424; later deeds and all indexes are at the county clerk’s;
- Address: 20 Ontario Street, Canandaigua, NY 14424
- Phone: (585) 396-4200
- Land Records: 1789 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1789
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Ontario County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files. These records–and mortgages to 1920–are at the Ontario County Department of Records, Archives, and Information Management Services, 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua 14424; later deeds and all indexes are at the county clerk’s;
- Phone: (585) 396-4055
- Probate Records: 1789 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Ontario County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Ontario County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua, NY 14424
- Phone: 716) 396-4034
Ontario County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Ontario County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Ontario County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ontario Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ontario Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ontario Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ontario Co. NY Census Records
Ontario Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ontario Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Ontario Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ontario Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Ontario County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A history of Ontario County, New York, and its people (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Ontario County, New York : with illustrations and family sketches of some of the prominent men and families (search.ancestry.com)
- A century and a quarter of history : Geneva from seventeen hundred and eighty-seven to nineteen hundred and twelve, a history w (search.ancestry.com)
- Canandaigua, its advantages, growth, and beauty (search.ancestry.com)
- An elegant but salubrious village : a portrait of Geneva, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Ontario County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Ontario Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Ontario County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Ontario (cyndislist.com)
- Ontario County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Ontario Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Ontario County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Ontario Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Ontario Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Ontario Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ontario Co. NY Military Records
Ontario Co. NY Schools & Directories