Wayne County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wayne County, New York Facts
When was Wayne County, NY Created?
Wayne County was created on February 16, 1791 from Ontario County and Seneca County.
What is the County Seat of Wayne County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Lyons and in addition the county government website is co.wayne.ny.us
What counties are adjacent to Wayne County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Lake Ontario and Canada, Cayuga County, Seneca County, Ontario County, Monroe County.
Wayne County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Wayne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Wayne County, NY Census Records
What Wayne County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Wayne County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Wayne County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Wayne County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Wayne County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Wayne County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 26 Church Street, Lyons, New York 14489-1145
- Wayne County Clerk
- Address: 9 Pearl St., P.O. Box 608, Lyons, NY 14489
- Phone: 315-946-7470
- Land Records: 1823
- Court Records: 1823
- Wayne County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 54 Broad Street, Lyons, NY 14489
- Phone: 315-946-5459
- Probate Records: 1823
- Municipal Historians: Includes all Town and Village Historians
- Wayne County Historian
- Address: 9 Pearl Street, Suite 3, Lyons, New York 14489
- Phone: 315-946-5470
- Abstracts of wills of Wayne County, N.Y. : Surrogate's Office, Lyons, N.Y.
- Letters of administration : intestate records in the Surrogate's Office, Lyons, Wayne County, N.Y.
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Wayne County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, NY?
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- West Wayne Genealogical Society, 411 Canal Drive East, Macedon 14502-9113
- Wayne County Historical Society, 21 Butternut Street, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-4943
- Lyons Heritage Society, P.O. Box 150, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-6316 or 946-4596
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Lyons Public Library, 122 Broad Street, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-9262
- The Palmyra Kings Daughters Free Library, 127 Cuyler Street, Palmyra, New York 14522, Phone: 315-597-5276; The Palmyra library had local histories, old newspaper listings on marriages, cemetery listings, old maps, deaths, poorhouse records and more.
- Clyde Savannah Public Library, 204 Glasgow Street, Clyde, New York 14433, Phone: 315-923-7767
- Museum of Wayne County History, 21 Butternut Street, Lyons, New York 14489, Phone: 315-946-4943
- Heritage Square Museum, 7147 Ontario Center Road, Ontario, New York 14519
- The Museums of Historic Palmyra, 132 Market Street, Palmyra, New York 14522, Phone: 315-597-6981
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wayne County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Wayne Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wayne Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide
- Cemetery records from the Willow Avenue Cemetery, Newark, Wayne County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Wayne Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Wayne County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Wayne Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Wayne Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide
- The Zion Episcopal Church records of Palmyra, Wayne County, N.Y. : part I : lists of communicants, 1826-1850, baptisms, 1823-18 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Wayne County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Wayne Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wayne Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Wayne County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Landmarks of Wayne County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Rose neighborhood sketches : Wayne County, New York, with glimpses of the adjacent towns: Butler, Wolcott, Huron, Sodus, Lyons, (search.ancestry.com)
- Palmyra and vicinity (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Macedon Academy, 1841-1891 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pioneers of Macedon (search.ancestry.com)
- Wayne County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wayne Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Wayne County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Wayne (cyndislist.com)
- Wayne County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Wayne Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Wayne County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wayne Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wayne Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Wayne Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wayne Co. NY Military Records