Onondaga County, New York
Onondaga County was created on March 5, 1794 from Herkimer County. This particular county was named for the Onondaga tribe of Native Americans .
The Onondaga County Seat can be found in Syracuse and in addition the county government website is ongov.net/
Regions neighboring Onondaga County include Oswego County (north), Madison County (east), Cortland County (south), Cayuga County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Onondaga County consists of Syracuse, Camillus, Cicero, Clay, DeWitt, Elbridge, Fabius, Geddes, LaFayette, Lysander, Manlius, Marcellus, Onondaga, Otisco, Pompey, Salina, Skaneateles, Spafford, Tully, Van Buren. Villages include Baldwinsville, Camillus, East Syracuse, Elbridge, Fabius, Fayetteville, Jordan, Liverpool, Manlius, Marcellus, Minoa, North Syracuse, Skaneateles, Solvay, Tully. Hamlets includes Amber, Amboy, Apulia, Apulia Station, Borodino, Brewerton, Bridgeport, Cardiff, Cedarvale, Cicero, Clay, Clintonville, Collingwood, Delphi, Delphi Falls, DeWitt, Fairmount, Galeville, Geddes, Hart Lot, Hinsdale, Howlett Hill, Indian Village, Jamesville, Kirkville, LaFayette, Long Branch, Lysander, Marcellus Falls, Marietta, Mattydale, Memphis, Mottville, Navarino, Nedrow, Onondaga Hill, Oran, Otisco, Plainville, Pompey, Pompey Center, Rose Hill, Skaneateles Falls, South Onondaga, South Spafford, Southwood, Spafford, Split Rock, State Fair Grounds, Taunton, Thorn Hill, Van Buren, Vesper, Warners, Watervale.
Onondaga County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Onondaga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Onondaga County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Onondaga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Onondaga Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Onondaga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Onondaga County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Onondaga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York (raogk.org)
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Onondaga Historical Association, 321 Montgomery St., Syracuse, NY. 13202; 315-428-1864
- Syracuse Chapter Empire State Society Sons of the American Revolution
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Onondaga Historical Association Museum and Research Center, 321 Montgomery St., Syracuse, NY. 13202, Phone: 315-428-1864; Research Center and Online Database of archival holdings. Research service for remote patrons available for a fee. Vertical files include biographical and genealogical information as well as town files for all towns in Onondaga County.
- Onondaga County Public Library, The Galleries of Syracuse , 447 S. Salina St., Syracuse, NY 13202, Phone: 315–435–1900; Newspapers, Histories, Maps, Atlases, Directories
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Onondaga County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Onondaga County
- Onondaga County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Onondaga County
- USGenWeb Archives for Onondaga County (usgwarchives.net)
Onondaga County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Onondaga County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Onondaga County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Onondaga County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Onondaga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 401 Montgomery Street, Syracuse, NY 13020
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Onondaga County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (315) 435-2227
- Land Records: 1784 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1784
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Onondaga County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 505 South State St., Syracuse, N.Y. 13202-2104
- Phone: (315) 671-2700
- Probate Records: 1796 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Onondaga County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Onondaga County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Onondaga County Health Department, 421 Montgomery St # 20, Syracuse, NY 13202; (315) 435-3241; Your request must clearly state "For Genealogical Purposes Only."
Onondaga County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Onondaga County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Onondaga County genealogy or family history related sites.
Onondaga Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for New York
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992) (genealogybank.com) Easily find names and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. All new content and articles added each month!
- Syracuse Herald Journal (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Syracuse Herald (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Post Standard (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Evening Herald (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Syracuse Journal (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Syracuse Daily Courier And Union (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Syracuse Daily Courier (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Central City Daily Courier (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Onondaga Standard (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Syracuse Herald American (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Syracuse Herald Syracuse Journal (Syracuse, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Gazette and farmers' journal : 1846-1896, fiftieth anniversary (search.ancestry.com)
- Onondaga County, New York Books (amazon.com)
- Search New York Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Onondaga Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Onondaga Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Onondaga Co. NY Census Records
Onondaga Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Onondaga Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Onondaga Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Onondaga Co. NY General and History Websites
Onondaga Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Onondaga Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Onondaga Co. NY Military Records
Onondaga Co. NY Schools & Directories