Nassau County, New York
Nassau County was created on 1899 from Queens County. This particular county was named in honor of the Princes of Orange-Nassau ruled the Netherlands when Long Island was a Dutch colony .
The Nassau County Seat can be found in Mineola and in addition the county government website is www.nassaucountyny.gov/
Regions neighboring Nassau County include Suffolk County (east), Queens County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Nassau County consists of Mineola, Glen Cove, Long Beach, Hempstead, North Hempstead, Oyster Bay.
Nassau County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Nassau County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Nassau County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Nassau County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Nassau County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York (raogk.org)
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Nassau County Historical Society, Box 207, Garden City, NY 11530 , Phone: 516-538-7679; The Nassau County Historical Society Journal is the offical publication and released annually. The Society has no research staff
- Long Island Studies Institute, Joan And Donald E. Axinn Library, Room 032, 123 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549-1230;
Phone: 516-463-6411; Has Nassau County Historical Society collection of books and manuscripts
- Baldwin Public Library , 2385 Grand Avenue, Baldwin, NY 11510-3289, Phone: 516-223-6228;The library houses obituaries for local newspapers. The Baldwin History room houses history books on Nassau County and Baldwin as well as Suffolk, Queens, Kings, and New York Counties. Collections include journals, photographs, school records, directories, and yearbooks. Baldwin History room open by appointment only.
- The Bryant Library, 2 Paper Mill Road, Roslyn, NY 11576 , Phone: 516-621-2240; Bryant Room houses the local history collection that includes 19th and 20th century books, mapts, photographs,newspaper clippings, letters and documents. They also have a special collection that includes materials on William Cullen Bryant, Clarence H. Mackay and Christopher Morley. List of collections.,
- Hofstra University Library, Joan & Donald E. Axinn Library, Special Collections Department, Room 032, Hempstead, NY 11549-1000, Phone: 516-463-6158; Has the historical and genealogical collections of the Nassau County Historical Society, Oceanside Historical Society Collection (now defunct), Nassau County Museum Reference Collection, family history collections, newspapers, and photographs.,
- Glen Cove Public Library , 4 Glen Cove Avenue, Glen Cove, NY 11542-2885, Phone: 516-676-2130; The Robert R. Coles Long Island History Room contains books; periodical series; artifacts; pamphlets; maps; microfilmed documents; records and manuscripts, and microfilm of local newspapers for the local area. The room has limited hours. Digital collection.,
- Port Washington Public Library, One Library Drive, Port Washington, NY 11050, Phone: 516-883-440 x167; The library has a Local History Center containing digital collections and onsite marterial including newspapers, histories, maps, and manuscripts.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Nassau County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Nassau County
- Nassau County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Nassau County
- USGenWeb Archives for Nassau County (usgwarchives.net)
Nassau County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Nassau County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Nassau County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Nassau County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
- Nassau County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 240 Old County Road, Mineola, NY 11501
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Nassau County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 516-571-2664
- Land Records: 1899 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1899
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Nassau County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 262 Old Country Road, Mineola, New York 11501
- Phone: 516-571-2082 or 516-571-2847
- Probate Records: 1899 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Nassau County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Nassau County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: Nassau County Museum, 1864 Muttontown Road, Syosset, New York 11791
- Phone: 516-571-7615
Nassau County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Nassau County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Nassau County genealogy or family history related sites.
Nassau Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Nassau Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in New York
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Marriage records, Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York : register of marriages performed by the Rev. Marmaduke Earle, 1793-1855 : (search.ancestry.com)
- Quaker marriages, Jericho Monthly Meeting, Long Island, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Marriages recorded at Reformed Dutch Church, Manhasset, Long Island : 1785-1878, also a few deaths 1841-1878 (search.ancestry.com)
- Bethpage and Farmingdale, town of Oyster Bay, Queens County, now Nassau County, Long Island, New York : three cemeteries, 1832- (search.ancestry.com)
- Marriages by Rev. Henry Hermance at Reformed Dutch Church of North Hempstead, Long Island (formerly Success) : 1826-1859 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962 (familysearch.org)
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935 (familysearch.org)
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980 (familysearch.org)
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Nassau Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Nassau Co. NY Census Records
Nassau Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Nassau Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Nassau Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Nassau Co. NY General and History Websites
Nassau Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Nassau Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Nassau Co. NY Military Records