Suffolk County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Suffolk County, New York Facts
When was Suffolk County, NY Created?
Suffolk County was created on 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in theNew York colony.
What counties are adjacent to Suffolk County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Nassau County.
Suffolk County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Suffolk County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Suffolk County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Suffolk County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- The Salmon records : a private register of marriages and deaths of the residents of the town of Southold, Suffolk County, N.Y.,
- Deaths taken from The Republican Watchman
- Marriages of Suffolk County, N.Y. : taken from the “Republican Watchman,” a newspaper published at Greenport, N.Y.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Suffolk County, NY Census Records
What Suffolk County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Suffolk County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Suffolk Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suffolk Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suffolk Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Suffolk County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Suffolk County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Suffolk County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Suffolk County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Suffolk County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 170 Federal Plaza, Central Islip, NY 11722
- Suffolk County Clerk
- Address: 310 Center Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901-3392
- Phone: 631-852-2000
- Land Records: 1683
- Court Records: 1683
- Suffolk County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 320 Center Drive, Riverhead, NY 11901
- Phone: 631-852-1725
- Probate Records: 1787
- Suffolk County Historian
- Address: Division of Cultural and Historical Services, Suffolk County Department of Parks, Montauk Highway, PO Box 144, West Sayville, NY 11796
- Phone: 631-567-1487
- Records of the town of East-Hampton, Long Island, Suffolk Co., N.Y. : with other ancient documents of historic value.
- Huntington town records : including Babylon, Long Island, N.Y.
- The … book of records of the town of Southampton : with other ancient documents of historic value, including all the writings
- Records of the town of Brookhaven
- The sixth volume of record of Southampton, L.I., N.Y.
- Brookhaven town records.
- The Babylon town patents
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Suffolk County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Suffolk County, NY?
A list of Suffolk County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Genealogy Federation of Long Island ; Compiles information on thirteen Genealogy Organizations located on Long Island
- Suffolk County Historical Society, 300 West Main Street, Riverhead, NY 11901, Phone: 631.727.2881; genealogies, biographies, town records, photographs, maps, cemetery transcriptions, Bible records, newspapers, censuses. Tables of contents forThe Register are available for free online.
- The Computer Genealogy Society of Long Island, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 160 Washington Ave., Plainview, NY, Phone: 516.921.0841
- Germany Genealogy Group, PO Box 1004, Kings Park, NY 11754
- Jewish Genealogy Society of Long Island, 37 Westcliff Drive, Dix Hills, NY 11746
- Patchogue-Medford Library Genealogy Research Group, 54-60 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY 11772, Phone: 631-654-4700 ext. 231
- Genealogy Workshop of the Huntington Historical Society, 209 Main St., Huntington, NY 11743, Phone: 631.427.7045
- Longwood Genealogy Group, Community Room, Longwood Public Library, 800 Middle Country Road, Middle Island, NY
- Huntington Historical Society Library, High St. & New Park Ave., P.O. Box 506, Huntington, NY 11743, 631-427-7056; A Guide to the Collections of the Resource Center and Archives is available online. Assorted genealogical collections are housed here, including church, cemetery, military, and newspaper records. A list of family files is available online.
- Suffolk County Historical Society Library, 300 West Main St., Riverhead, NY 11901, 631-727-2881; Histories, genealogies, biographies, private papers, photographs, maps, cemetery records, ancestor charts, Bible records, newspapers, censuses, DAR collection.
- Suffolk Cooperative Library System; Maintains copies of Federal Censuses, State Censuses, New York State Records (1799-1804), and City Directories that relate to Suffolk County for use at libraries throughout the county.
- Smithtown Public Library, Richard Handley Collection, East Main St., Smithtown, NY 11787; Thousands of Long Island history and genealogy books, hundreds of maps, newspapers.
- East Hampton Library, 159 Main St., East Hampton, NY 11937; Long Island Collection includes deeds, wills, genealogies, newspapers, family records and more.
- Sag Harbor History Room, John Jermain Memorial Library, 34 West Water St., Sag Harbor, NY 11963, 631.725.0049; photographs, genealogies, local history books, newspapers (dating to 1790), births, deaths, marriages, maps, and more.
- Celia M. Hastings Local History Room, Patchoque-Medford Library, 54-60 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY 11772, Phone: 631.654.4700 ext 240; periodicals, genealogies, maps and atlases, postcards, photographs, family files, oral history, and more.
- Diocese of Rockville Centre, 50 North Park Ave, PO Box 9023, Rockville Centre, NY 11571, Phone: 516.678.5800; The Diocesan Archives collects and maintains records created by the parishes of the Diocese of Rockville Centre.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Suffolk County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Suffolk County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Suffolk County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Suffolk County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Suffolk County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.