Sullivan County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Sullivan County, Missouri Facts
When was Sullivan County, MO Created?
Sullivan County was created on February 14, 1845 from Linn County. The county was named in honor of John Sullivan (1740–1795), American Revolutionary War general.
What is the County Seat of Sullivan County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Milan and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Sullivan County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Putnam County (north), Adair County (east), Linn County (south), Grundy County (southwest), Mercer County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Sullivan County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Browning, Green City, Greencastle, Harris, Milan, Newtown, Humphreys, Osgood, Pollock.
Sullivan County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Sullivan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Sullivan County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Sullivan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Sullivan County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- Marriage records of Sullivan County, Missouri
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Sullivan County, MO Census Records
What Sullivan County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Sullivan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Sullivan Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Sullivan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Sullivan County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Sullivan County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Sullivan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Sullivan County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Fire destroyed the Courthouse June 26, 1908
- Sullivan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 109 N. Main , Milan, MO 63556
- Sullivan County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-265-3630
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Land Records: 1845 (including Index to deeds, 1845-1887; Deed records, 1845-1893; Warranty deeds, 1866-1890; Record of patents, 1858-1880; Swamp land patents, 1859-1953)
- Sullivan County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 265-4717
- Probate Records: 1849 (including Probate records, 1850-1889; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1871-1892; Settlement records, 1870-1905; Will records, 1849-1928)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845 (including Index to circuit court records, (no dates); Circuit court records, 1845-1886)
- Sullivan County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 265-3786
- Birth & Death Records: 1835–99 (including Permanent record of births, 1835-1871 and 1883-1892; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1892; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1899)
- Sullivan County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Sullivan County, Missouri Wills, 1849-1880
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Sullivan County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Sullivan County, MO?
A list of Sullivan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Sullivan County Historical Society, 117 North Water Street, Milan, MO 63556-1023
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Sullivan County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Sullivan County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Sullivan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Sullivan Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Sullivan Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Sullivan Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Sullivan Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Sullivan Co. MO General and History Websites
Sullivan Co. MO Military Records
Sullivan Co. MO Schools & Directories