Adair County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Adair County, Missouri Facts
When was Adair County, MO Created?
Adair County was created on January 29, 1841 from Macon County.
What is the County Seat of Adair County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Kirksville and in addition the county government website is unknown
Adair County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Adair County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Adair County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Adair County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Adair County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Adair County, MO Census Records
What Adair County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adair County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Adair Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Adair Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Adair County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Adair County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Adair County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Adair County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Adair County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 W Washington, Kirksville, MO 63501
- Adair County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: (660) 665-3890
- Marriage Records: 1841 (including Index to Marriage records,1841-1886; Marriage records,1841-1916; Military discharge records,1866-1890
- Land Records: 1841
- Adair County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (660) 665-2552
- Probate Records: 1841 (including Index to Probate records,1841-1908; Probate Records,1841-1897; Administrators/Executors letters, bonds and records, 1857-1868; Settlement Records,1857-1908 ;Guardians/Curators records,1885-1887; Will Records, 1857-1918
- Court Records: 1841
- Divorce Records: 1841
- Adair County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (660) 665-3350
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Adair County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Adair County, MO?
A list of Adair County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Adair County Public Library, One Library Lane, Kirksville, MO 63501-2550; Phone(660) 665-6038
- Adair County Historical Society, 211 S. Elson, Kirksville, Mo 63501-3466
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Adair County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Adair County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Adair County
- Adair County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Adair County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Adair County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.