Stone County, Missouri
Stone County was created on February 10, 1851 from Taney County. The county was named in honor of William Stone, first elected judge of Taney County .
The Stone County Seat is situated in Galena and in addition the county government website is www.stoneco-mo.us
Areas surrounding Stone County include Christian County (north), Taney County (east), Carroll County, Arkansas (south), Barry County (west), Lawrence County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Stone County include Blue Eye, Branson West, Cape Fair, Carr Lane, Coney Island, Crane, Crossroads, Elsey, Galena, HootenTown, Hurley, Indian Point, Kimberling City, Lampe, McCord Bend, Ponce de Leon, Possum Trot, Reeds Spring, Reeds Spring Junction, Shell Knob, Union City, Viola.
Stone County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Stone County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Stone County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Stone Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1860. Stone Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stone Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stone Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Stone County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Stone County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Galena-Jo Daviess County Historical Society & Museum, 211 S. Bench St., Galena, IL 61036; 815.777.9129
- Stone County Historical & Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 63, Galena, MO 65656
- White River Valley Historical Society , P.O. Box 555, Point Lookout, MO 65726
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Stone County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Stone County
- Stone County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Stone County
- USGenWeb Archives for Stone County
Stone County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Stone County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Stone County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Stone County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Stone County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 108 E. 4th Street, Galena, Missouri 65656
- Stone County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (417) 357-6362
- Marriage Records: 1851 (including Marriage records, 1851-1935)
- Land Records: 1854 (including Index to deeds, 1855-1887; Deed records, 1854-1888)
- Stone County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: 110 South Maple, Galena, MO 65656
- Phone: (417) 357-6114 or 6115
- Probate Records: 1848 (including Index to probate records, 1850-1886; Probate records, 1851-1886; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1875-1922; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1875-1884; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1875-1912; Will records, 1848-1923)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1851 (including index to circuit court records, (no dates); Circuit court records, 1851-1892)
- Stone County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 357-6127
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Stone County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Stone County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Stone County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Stone County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Stone County genealogy or family history related sites.
Stone Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Stone Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Stone Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Stone Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Stone Co. MO Census Records
Stone Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Stone Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Stone Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Stone Co. MO General and History Websites
Stone Co. MO Military Records
Stone Co. MO Schools & Directories