St. Clair County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
St Clair County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal St Clair Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
St. Clair County was created on January 29, 1841 from Rives County. The county was named in honor of Arthur St. Clair (1737–1818), an American soldier and Governor of the Northwest Territory .
The St. Clair County Seat is situated in Osceola and in addition the county government website is stclaircountymissouricom.officelive.com
Areas surrounding St. Clair County include Henry County (north), Benton County (northeast), Hickory County (east), Polk County (southeast), Cedar County (south), Vernon County (southwest), Bates County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in St. Clair County include Appleton City, Collins, Gerster, Lowry City, Osceola, Roscoe, Taberville, Vista.
St. Clair County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
St. Clair Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. St. Clair Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Clair Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Clair Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
St. Clair County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of St. Clair County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- St. Clair County Historical Society, P.O. Box 376 , Osceola, MO 64776
- Institutions with St. Clair County Records
- Appleton City Landmarks Restoration, P.O. Box 44 , Appleton City, MO 64724
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, P.O. Box 4, Warrensburg, MO 64093, Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- St. Clair County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in St. Clair County
- St. Clair County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for St. Clair County
- USGenWeb Archives for St. Clair County
St. Clair County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of St. Clair County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the St. Clair County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in St. Clair County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. The Courthouse apparently was burned in September 1861 by Gen. James Lane. One account claims that Lane's raid only partially destroyed the courthouse; by some accounts it was rebuilt and used until November 1864, when it was again burned in Civil War activity. Probate Court records were destroyed.
- St. Clair County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 655 Second St., Osceola, MO 64776
- St. Clair County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 417-646-2950
- Marriage Records: 1855 (including Marriage records, 1855-1926)
- Land Records: 1841 (including Index to deeds, 1841-1861 and 1863-1886; Deed records, 1841-1903)
- St. Clair County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 417-646-2226
- Probate Records: 1865 (including Index to probate records, 1865-1888; Probate records, 1865-1888; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1865-1890; Settlement records, 1870-1892; Will records, 1865-1921)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1841 (including Index to circuit court records, 1841 -1 904; Circuit court records, 1841-1883)
- St. Clair County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 646-2315
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–1903 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1885; Permanent record of births, 1883-1903; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1890)
- St. Clair County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
St. Clair County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to St. Clair County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked St. Clair County genealogy or family history related sites.
St. Clair Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Clair Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Clair Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
St. Clair Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
St. Clair Co. MO Census Records
St. Clair Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
St. Clair Co. MO Church & Bible Records
St. Clair Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Clair Co. MO General and History Websites
St. Clair Co. MO Military Records
St. Clair Co. MO Schools & Directories