Jefferson County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, Alabama Facts
When was Jefferson County, AL Created?
Jefferson County was created on Dec. 13 1819 it was formed from Blount County.
What is the County Seat of Jefferson County, AL?
The Jefferson County Seat was Carrollsville from 1819-21, at Elyton from 1821-73, and since 1873 has been at Birmingham, which was named for England’s iron and steel center in Warwickshire. In addition the county government website is http://jeffconline.jccal.org/
What counties are adjacent to Jefferson County, AL?
Bordering Counties are Blount County, St. Clair County (northeast and east), Shelby County (south and southeast), Bibb County (southwest (a very short boundary), Tuscaloosa County (west and southwest), Walkery County (northwest and north).
Jefferson County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Jefferson County Health Department has Birth Records from (Partial)1871, 1882, Death records from (Partial)1871, 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Jefferson County, AL Census Records
What Jefferson County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jefferson County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 716 N. 21st St., Birmingham, AL 35263-0001
- Phone: (205) 325-5300
- Court Records: 1826
- Divorce Records:
- Jefferson County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 716 North 21st Street, Birmingham, AL 35263
- Phone: (205) 325-5512
- Marriage Records: 1818 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1819
- Land Records: 1819
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Jefferson County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Jefferson County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, AL?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Birmingham Public Library, (Tutwiler Collection), 205-226-3665
- Birmingham Genealogical Society, Box 2432, Birmingham, AL 35201; Publication: Pioneer Trails
- Birmingham Historical Society, 1 Sloss Quarters, Birmingham, AL 35222; Publication: Birmingham Historical Society Journal
- Hueytown Historical Society, P.O. Box 3313, Hueytown, AL 35023
- Jefferson County Historical Commission, 571 Landmark Center, 2100 First Avenue North, Birmingham, Alabama 35203, 205-324-0988
- Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society, P.O. Box 130285, Birmingham, AL 35213-0285
- Roebuck Springs Historic Preservation Society, 504 Valley Rd., Birmingham, AL 35206
- West Jefferson County Historical Society, P.O. Box 184, Bessemer, Alabama 35021-0184; (205) 426-1633
- Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc. (Depository and Headquarters) Samford University Library, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001 EMAIL
- ALJEFFER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jefferson County, Alabama.To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- AL-RUHEASTL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Ruhama Baptist Church, East Lake area, Jefferson County, Alabama. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.