Ozark County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Ozark County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Ozark Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Ozark County was created on January 29, 1841 from Taney County. The county was named for the Ozark Mountains – Ozark is the anglicized form of the French "aux arcs", an abbreviation of "Aux Arkansas", which means in the county of Arkansas.
The Ozark County Seat is situated in Gainesville and in addition the county government website is www.ozarkcounty.net/
Areas surrounding Ozark County include Douglas County (north), Howell County (east), Fulton County, Arkansas (southeast), Baxter County, Arkansas (south), Marion County, Arkansas (southwest), Taney County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Ozark County include Almartha, Bakersfield, Brixey, Dora, Dugginsville, Elijah, Foil, Gainesville, Hammond, Hardenville, Howards Ridge, Isabella, Longrun, Lutie, Mammoth, Noble, Nottinghill, Ocie, Pontiac, Rockbridge, Romance, Souder, Sundown, Sycamore, Tecumseh, Theodosia, Thornfield, Trail, Udall, Wasola, Willhoit, Zanoni.
Ozark County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ozark Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Ozark Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ozark Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ozark Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Ozark County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ozark County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ozark County Genealogical and Historical Society, PO BOX 4, GAINESVILLE MO 65655
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- White River Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 555, Point Lookout, MO 65726
- South Central Missouri Genealogical Society, 9 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Ozark County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ozark County
- Ozark County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ozark County
- USGenWeb Archives for Ozark County
Ozark County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Ozark County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Ozark County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Ozark County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Courthouse destroyed by fire in 1858 or 1859, all early records were destroyed. 2nd Courthouse destroyed by fire sometime before February 1864., some records were lost. 3rd Courthouse destroyed by fire November 28, 1934.
- Ozark County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 S. Madison, Mansfield, MO 65704
- Ozark County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 417-679-4232
- Marriage Records: 1858 (including Marriage records, 1858-1918)
- Land Records: 1858 (including Index to deeds, 1859-1899; Deed records, 1858-1886)
- Ozark County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Probate Records: 1865 (including Index to probate records, (no dates); Probate records, 1865-1909; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1872-1914; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1872-1896; Will records, 1904-1941)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1858 (including Index to circuit court records, (no dates); Circuit court records, 1858-1888)
- Ozark County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 679-3516
- Birth & Death Records: 1884–90 (including Permanent record of births, 1887; Register of births and stillbirths, 1884-1890; Permanent record of deaths, 1887-1889)
- Ozark County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Ozark County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Ozark County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Ozark County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ozark Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ozark Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ozark Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ozark Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ozark Co. MO Census Records
Ozark Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ozark Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Ozark Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ozark Co. MO General and History Websites
Ozark Co. MO Military Records
Ozark Co. MO Schools & Directories