Jasper County, Missouri
Jasper County was created on January 29, 1841 from Barry County. The county was named in honor of William Jasper (c. 1750-1779), a noted American soldier in the Revolutionary War.
The Jasper County Seat is situated in Carthage and in addition the county government website is www.jaspercounty.org/
Areas surrounding Jasper County include Barton County (north), Dade County (northeast), Lawrence County (east), Newton County (south), Cherokee County, Kansas (west), Crawford County, Kansas (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Jasper County include Airport Drive, Alba, Asbury, Avilla, Brooklyn Heights, Carl Junction, Carterville, Carthage, Carytown, Duenweg, Duquesne, Fidelity, Jasper, Joplin, Kendricktown, La Russell, Maxville, Neck City, Oronogo, Purcell, Reeds, Sarcoxie, Waco, Webb City.
Townships located inside of Jasper County include Joplin, Galena , Marion , Mineral , Twin Groves , Jackson , Sarcoxie , Madison , Union , Preston , Duval , McDonald , Jasper , Sheridan , Lincoln.
Jasper County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Jasper County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Jasper County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jasper Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Jasper Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jasper Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jasper Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Jasper County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jasper County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jasper County Historical Society, 1718 Garrison , Carthage, MO 64836; Phone: (417) 358-2980
- South West Missouri Genealogical Society, 5676 County Road 120, Carthage, MO 64836; Ph: (417) 358-6494
- Carthage Historic Preservation , P.O. Box 375, Carthage, MO 64836 ; Phone: (417) 358-1776
- Joplin Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 1063, 300 South Main, Joplin, MO 64802; Phone: (417) 623-7953
- Powers Museum, P.O. Box 593, 1617 West Oak , Carthage, MO 64836; Phone: (417) 358-2667
- Jasper County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jasper County
- Jasper County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jasper County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jasper County
Jasper County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Jasper County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Jasper County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jasper county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse was destroyed by fire in October 1863. County records were saved by moving themto Neosho, Missouri
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Jasper County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 302 South Main ST, Carthage, MO 64836
- Jasper County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Address: ?
- Phone: 417-358-0431
- Marriage Records: 1841 (including Marriage records, 1841 -1916)
- Land Records: 1841 (including Index to deeds, 1841-1885; Deed records, 1841-1913)
- Jasper County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 417-358-0441 or 417-625-4310
- Probate Records: 1841 (including Index to probate records, 1841-1924; Probate records, 1841-1886; Probate minutes, 1841-1861; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1865-1908; Will records, 1842-1916)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1841 (including Index to circuit court records, 1879-1889; Circuit court records, 1841-1886)
- Jasper County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 417-358-0413
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1900
- Jasper County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Jasper County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Jasper County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Jasper County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Jasper County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jasper Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jasper Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jasper Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jasper Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jasper Co. MO Census Records
Jasper Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jasper Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Jasper Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jasper Co. MO General and History Websites
Jasper Co. MO Military Records
Jasper Co. MO Schools & Directories