Jasper County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jasper County, Missouri Facts
When was Jasper County, MO Created?
Jasper County was created on January 29, 1841 from Barry County. The county was named in honor of William Jasper (c. 1750-1779), a noted American soldier in the Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of Jasper County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Carthage and in addition the county government website is www.jaspercounty.org/
What counties are adjacent to Jasper County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Barton County (north), Dade County (northeast), Lawrence County (east), Newton County (south), Cherokee County, Kansas (west), Crawford County, Kansas (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Jasper County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Airport Drive, Alba, Asbury, Avilla, Brooklyn Heights, Carl Junction, Carterville, Carthage, Carytown, Duenweg, Duquesne, Fidelity, Jasper, Joplin, Kendricktown, La Russell, Maxville, Neck City, Oronogo, Purcell, Reeds, Sarcoxie, Waco, Webb City.
What Townships are in Jasper County, MO?
Townships located in the County include Joplin, Galena , Marion , Mineral , Twin Groves , Jackson , Sarcoxie , Madison , Union , Preston , Duval , McDonald , Jasper , Sheridan , Lincoln.
Jasper County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Jasper County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jasper County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jasper County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Jasper County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- Jasper County, Missouri Deaths 1878-1905
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Jasper County, MO Census Records
What Jasper County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jasper County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jasper Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Jasper Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jasper Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jasper Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Jasper County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Jasper County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jasper County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jasper County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse was destroyed by fire in October 1863. County records were saved by moving themto Neosho, Missouri
- Jasper County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 302 South Main ST, Carthage, MO 64836
- Jasper County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Address: ?
- Phone: 417-358-0431
- Marriage Records: 1841 (including Marriage records, 1841 -1916)
- Land Records: 1841 (including Index to deeds, 1841-1885; Deed records, 1841-1913)
- Jasper County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 417-358-0441 or 417-625-4310
- Probate Records: 1841 (including Index to probate records, 1841-1924; Probate records, 1841-1886; Probate minutes, 1841-1861; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1865-1908; Will records, 1842-1916)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1841 (including Index to circuit court records, 1879-1889; Circuit court records, 1841-1886)
- Jasper County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 417-358-0413
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1900
- Jasper County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Jasper County, Missouri Wills 1842-90
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Jasper County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jasper County, MO?
A list of Jasper County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jasper County Historical Society, 1718 Garrison , Carthage, MO 64836; Phone: (417) 358-2980
- South West Missouri Genealogical Society, 5676 County Road 120, Carthage, MO 64836; Ph: (417) 358-6494
- Carthage Historic Preservation , P.O. Box 375, Carthage, MO 64836 ; Phone: (417) 358-1776
- Joplin Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 1063, 300 South Main, Joplin, MO 64802; Phone: (417) 623-7953
- Powers Museum, P.O. Box 593, 1617 West Oak , Carthage, MO 64836; Phone: (417) 358-2667
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Jasper County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jasper County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jasper County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Jasper Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jasper Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jasper Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Jasper Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jasper Co. MO General and History Websites
Jasper Co. MO Military Records
Jasper Co. MO Schools & Directories