Howell County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Howell County, Missouri Facts
When was Howell County, MO Created?
Howell County was created on March 2, 1857 from Oregon County. The county was named for the Howell Valley, where James Howell made first settlement.
What is the County Seat of Howell County, MO?
The County Seat is located in West Plains and in addition the county government website is www.howellcounty.net
What counties are adjacent to Howell County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Texas County, Shannon County, Oregon County, Fulton County, Arkansas, Ozark County, Douglas County.
What cities and towns are in Howell County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Brandsville, Caulfield, Hocomo, Lanton, Moody, Mountain View, Peace Valley, Pomona, Pottersville, Siloam Springs, South Fork, West Plains, Willow Springs.
Howell County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Howell County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Howell County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Howell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Howell County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Howell County, MO Census Records
What Howell County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Howell County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Howell Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1860. Howell Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howell Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Howell County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Howell County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Howell County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Howell County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. In the fall of 1863, guerrillas burned West Plains and the Courthouse. Most records were destroyed. The county reorganized in 1866.
- Howell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 35 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Howell County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (417) 256-3750
- Marriage Records: 1867 (including Marriage records, 1867-1916)
- Land Records: 1866 (including Index to deeds, 1866-1888; Deed records, 1866-1914; Index to mortgage records, 1870-1889; Patent records, 1886-1896)
- Howell County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (417) 256-3741
- Probate Records: 1862 (including Index to probate records, 1867-1886; Probate records, 1870-1886; Settlement records, 1869-1876; Will records, 1862-1885 and 1889-1919)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1857 (including Index to circuit court records, 1858-1896; Circuit court records, 1857-1886)
- Howell County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 417-256-2591
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-95 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1895; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1895)
- Howell County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Howell County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Howell County, MO?
A list of Howell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- South Central Missouri Genealogical Society, 9 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Ozarks Genealogical Society ; P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Howell County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Howell County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Howell County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Howell Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Howell Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Howell Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Howell Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Howell Co. MO General and History Websites
Howell Co. MO Military Records
Howell Co. MO Schools & Directories