Cedar County, Missouri
Cedar County was created on February 14, 1845 from Dade County and St. Clair County. The county was named for the abundance of Eastern Red Cedar trees.
The Cedar County Seat is situated in Keytesville and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Cedar County include St. Clair County (north), Polk County (east), Dade County (south), Benton County (southwest), Vernon County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Cedar County include Caplinger Mills, El Dorado Springs, Jerico Springs, Stockton, Umber View Heights.
Cedar County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Cedar County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Cedar County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cedar Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Cedar Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cedar Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cedar Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Cedar County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cedar County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cedar County Historical Society, P.O. Box 111, Stockton, MO 65785; Phone: (417) 276-5570
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Tri-County Genealogical Society, (Vernon - Cedar - St. Clair Counties), 212 West Walnut Street, Nevada, MO 64772
- Cedar County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cedar County
- Cedar County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cedar County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cedar County
Cedar County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Cedar County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Cedar County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cedar county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Cedar County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 113 South St., Stockton, MO 65785
- Cedar County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 417-276-6700
- Marriage Records: 1845 (including Index to marriage records, 1884-1929; Marriage records, 1845-1921; Negro/colored marriage records, 1867-1872)
- Land Records: 1845 (including Index to deeds, 1845-1889; Deed records, 1845-1944)
- Cedar County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (417) 276-6700
- Probate Records: 1845 (including Probate records, 1845-1891; Probate minutes, 1875-1880; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1846-1911; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1850-1899; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1874-1911; Will records, 1846-1919)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845 (including Index to circuit court records, 1871-1928; Circuit court records, 1845-1928)
- Cedar County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 276-6700
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-89 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1889; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1886)
- Cedar County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Cedar County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
- Recorder of Deeds: ; . Clerk of the County Court: . Clerk of the Circuit Court: . Clerk of the Probate Court: .
Cedar County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Cedar County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Cedar County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cedar Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cedar Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cedar Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cedar Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cedar Co. MO Census Records
Cedar Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cedar Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Cedar Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cedar Co. MO General and History Websites
Cedar Co. MO Military Records
Cedar Co. MO Schools & Directories