Buchanan County, Missouri
Buchanan County was created on December 31, 1838 from part of the Platte Purchase. The county was named in honor of James Buchanan (1791-1868), 15th President of the United States.
The Buchanan County Seat is situated in Saint Joseph and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Buchanan County include Andrew County (north), DeKalb County (northeast), Clinton County (east), Platte County (south), Atchison County, Kansas (southwest), Doniphan County, Kansas (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Buchanan County include Saint Joseph, Agency, De Kalb, Easton, Halls, Lewis and Clark Village, Rushville.
Townships located inside of Buchanan County include Agency Township, Bloomington Township, Center Township, Crawford Township, Jackson Township, Lake Township, Marion Township, Platte Township, Rush Township, Tremont Township, Washington Township, Wayne Township.
Buchanan County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Buchanan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Buchanan County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Buchanan Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Buchanan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Buchanan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Buchanan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Buchanan County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Buchanan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Benton County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1646, Philomath, OR 97370
- Saint Joseph Historical Society, P.O. Box 246, Third and Poulin Streets, St. Joseph, MO 64502
- Saint Joseph Public Library, Central Branch, 927 Felix, St. Joseph, MO 64501; (816) 232-7729
- Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 382, St. Joseph, MO 64502; Phone: (816) 233-0524
- St. Joseph Museum, P.O. Box 128, 1100 Charles, St. Joseph, MO 64502; Phone: (816) 232-8471
- Pony Express Historical Association, Box 1022, 1202 Penn Street, St. Joseph, MO 64503; Phone: (816) 232-8206
- Knea-Von Black Archive and Museum, 1901 Messanie Street, St. Joseph, MO 64507; Phone: (816) 233-6211
- National Military Heritage Society, 701 Messanie Street, St. Joseph, MO 64501-2200, Phone: (816) 233-4321
- Buchanan County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Buchanan County
- Buchanan County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Buchanan County
- USGenWeb Archives for Buchanan County
Buchanan County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Buchanan County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Buchanan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Buchanan county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Buchanan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 411 Jules St., St. Joseph, MO 64501
- Buchanan County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (816)271-1437
- Marriage Records: 1839 (including Index to marriage records, 1839-1927; Marriage records, 1839-1916)
- Land Records: 1839 (including Index to deeds, 1839-1890; Deed records, 1839-1889)
- Buchanan County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (816) 271-1462
- Probate Records: 1839 (including Probate records, 1839-1886; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1839-1907; Settlement records, 1862-1881; Index to will records, 1842-1921; Will records, 1839-1921)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1839 (including Index to circuit court records, 1869-1907; Circuit court records, 1839-1886; Index to naturalizations, 1839-1921; Naturalization records, 1867-1906)
- Buchanan County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (816)271-1412
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including Court order books, 1853-1873; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1893; Tax books, 1840-1842; General Election, 1882-1884 )
- Buchanan County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Buchanan County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Buchanan County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Buchanan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Buchanan County genealogy or family history related sites.
Buchanan Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Buchanan Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Buchanan Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Buchanan Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Buchanan Co. MO Census Records
Buchanan Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Buchanan Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Buchanan Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Buchanan Co. MO General and History Websites
Buchanan Co. MO Military Records
Buchanan Co. MO Schools & Directories