Marquette County, Michigan
Genealogy and Facts
Marquette County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Marquette Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Marquette County was founded on March 9, 1843 (Organized on December 1, 1851) from Chippewa County and Mackinac County. This county was named for French Jesuit missionary Pere Jacques Marquette.
The Marquette County Seat is located in Marquette also, the county government website is www.co.marquette.mi.us/.
Counties bordering Marquette County Alger County (east), Delta County (southeast), Menominee County (south), Dickinson County (south), Iron County (southwest), Baraga County (west).
Incorporated Cities & Villages located in Marquette County include Ishpeming, Marquette, Negaunee.
Townships located in Marquette County include Champion, Chocolay Charter, Ely, Ewing, Forsyth, Humboldt, Ishpeming, Marquette, Michigamme, Negaunee, Powell, Republic, Richmond, Sands, Skandia, Tilden, Turin, Wells, West Branch.
Marquette County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marquette Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marquette Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marquette Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Marquette County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Marquette County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Forsyth Township Historical Society, 144 N. Pine St., Gwinn 49841
- Marquette County Genealogical Society, 116 W. Spring Street, Marquette 49855
- Marquette County Historical Society, The John M. Longyear Research Library, 145 W. Spring St., Marquette MI 49855; 906-226-3571
- Negaunee Historical Society, 303 East Main Street Negaunee Michigan 49866; (906) 475-4614
- Richmond Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 254, Palmer MI 49871-0254
- Marquette County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marquette County
- Marquette County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marquette County
- USGenWeb Archives for Marquette County (usgwarchives.net)
Marquette County Courthouse and Government Records
Marquette County Courthouse
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Marquette County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Marquette County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Marquette County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on December 1, 1851 may be located in Chippewa County and Houghton County
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
- Marquette County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 232 W. Baraga Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855
- Marquette County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Marquette County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 906-225-8330
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Marquette County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (906) 225-8415
- Land Records: 1851
- Marquette County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (906) 225-8300
- Probate Records: 1854
- Marquette County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (906) 225-8205
- Court Records: 1852
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Marquette County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Marquette County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Marquette County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Marquette Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marquette Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marquette Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marquette Co. MI Census Records
Marquette Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marquette Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Marquette Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marquette Co. MI General and History Websites
Marquette Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Marquette Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marquette Co. MI Military Records