Alger County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Alger County, Michigan Facts
When was Alger County, MI Created?
Alger County was created on March 17 1885 from Schoolcraft County.
Alger County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Alger County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Alger County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Alger County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Alger County, MI Census Records
What Alger County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Alger County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Alger County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Alger County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Alger County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Alger County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Alger County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 Court Street Munising MI 49862
- Alger County Clerk
- Phone: 906-387-2076
- Births & Deaths: 1884
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Alger County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (906)387-2076
- Land Records: 1884
- Alger County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: (906) 387-2080
- Probate Records: 1889
- Alger County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: (906) 387-3879
- Court Records: 1885
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Alger County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Alger County, MI?
A list of Alger County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Grand Marais Historical Society, P.O. Box 179, Grand Marais, MI 49839
- Alger County Historical Society, P.O. 1496 Washington St., Munising, MI 49862; Phone: (906) 387-4308
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Alger County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alger County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Alger County
- Alger County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Alger County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Alger County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.