Jackson County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jackson County, Michigan Facts
When was Jackson County, MI Created?
Jackson County was created on October 29, 1829 (Organized on August 1, 1832) from Washtenaw County and unorganized territory . This county was named for Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), 7th President of the United States and President when Michigan was admitted to the Union .
What is the County Seat of Jackson County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Jackson also, the county government website is www.co.jackson.mi.us/.
What counties are adjacent to Jackson County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Livingston County, Ingham County, Eaton County, Washtenaw County, Calhoun County, Lenawee County, Hillsdale County.
What cities and towns are in Jackson County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Jackson, Brooklyn, Cement City, Concord, Grass Lake, Hanover, Parma, Springport.
What Townships are in Jackson County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Blackman Charter, Columbia, Concord, Grass Lake Charter, Hanover, Henrietta, Leoni, Liberty, Napoleon, Norvell, Parma, Pulaski, Rives, Sandstone Charter, Spring Arbor, Springport, Summit, Tompkins, Waterloo.
Jackson County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Jackson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jackson County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jackson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Some Michigan vital records arranged by counties from the Expounder of primitive Christianity
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Jackson County, MI Census Records
What Jackson County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jackson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Jackson County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Jackson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jackson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jackson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some early records prior to organization on August 1, 1832 may be located in Washtenaw County
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 312 S. Jackson Street, Jackson, MI 49201
- Jackson County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Jackson County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 517-788-4265
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Jackson County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (517) 788-4350
- Land Records: 1830
- Jackson County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (517) 788-4290
- Probate Records: 1834
- Jackson County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (517) 788-4268
- Court Records: 1830?
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Jackson County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jackson County, MI?
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jackson County Genealogical Society 211 W. Ganson Street, Suite 170, Jackson, MI 49201; 1-517-768-9266
- Grass Lake Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 53, Grass Lake MI 49240
- Historical Society of Tompkins Township, 8211 Dixon Rd., Rives Junction, MI 49277; (517) 569-2211
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Austin Blair Camp #7 c\o Bill Lowe 3916 Allston Drive Jackson MI 49201
- Hanover-Horton Area Historical Society Inc., 105 Fairview St. P.O. Box 256 Hanover MI 49241
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Jackson County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jackson County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Jackson Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Jackson Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. MI General and History Websites
Jackson Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Jackson Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. MI Military Records
Jackson Co. MI Schools & Directories