Warren County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Warren County, Kentucky Facts
When was Warren County, KY Created?
Warren County was created on December 19, 1796 from Logan County. Currently the county was named in honor of Joseph Warren (1741–1775), Revolutionary War general .
What is the County Seat of Warren County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Bowling Green additionally, the county government website is www.warrencountygov.com
What counties are adjacent to Warren County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Butler County (northwest), Edmonson County (northeast), Barren County (east), Allen County (southeast), Simpson County (south/southwest), Logan County (southwest).
What cities and towns are in Warren County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bowling Green, Oakland, Plum Springs, Smiths Grove, Woodburn, Rockfield, Richpond, Plano.
Warren County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Warren County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Warren County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Warren County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Warren County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Warren County, KY Census Records
What Warren County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Warren County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Warren Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Warren Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Warren County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Warren County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Warren County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Warren County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. A courthouse fire destroyed some records in 1864.
- Warrend County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Bowling Green, KY, 42101
- Phone: (270) 843-5306
- Marriage Records: 1797
- Land Records: 1797
- Probate Records: 1796
- Warren County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Warren County Justice Center, 1001 Center St., Suite 102, Bowling Green, KY 42101
- Phone: (270) 746-7400
- Court Records:1796
- Warren County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Warren County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Warren County USGenWeb Archives Project
Warren County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Warren County, KY?
A list of Warren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Southern Ky. Genealogical Society, PO Box 1782, Bowling Green KY 42102-1782
Where can I connect with other Warren County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Warren County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Warren County
- Warren County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYWARREN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Warren County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
What other genealogical resources are available in Warren County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Warren County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Warren Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Warren Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Warren Co. KY General and History Websites
Warren Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. KY Military Records