Pike County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Pike County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Pike Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Pike County was established on December 19, 1821 from Floyd County. Currently the county was named in honor of Zebulon Pike (1779–1813), western explorer and discoverer of Pike's Peak.
Currently the Pike County Seat is situated in Pikeville additionally, the county government website is pikefiscalcourt.com
Locations adjacent to Pike County happen to be Martin County (north), Mingo County, West Virginia (east), Buchanan County, Virginia (southeast), Dickenson County, Virginia (south), Wise County, Virginia (south), Letcher County (southwest), Knott County (southwest), Floyd County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Pike County comprise of Cedarville, Coal Run Village, Elkhorn City, Mouthcard, Phelps, Pikeville, South Williamson.
Pike County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pike Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Pike Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pike Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pike Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Pike County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pike County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pike County Historical Society, PO Box 97, Pikeville, KY 41502
- Elkhorn City Area Heritage Council, P.O. Box 1332, Elkhorn City KY 41522
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pike County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Pike County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pike County
- Pike County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pike County
- KYPIKE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Pike County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Pike County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Pike County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Pike County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Pike county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. No records were lost in a courthouse disaster in 1977.
- Piked County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Pikeville, KY, 41501
- Phone: (606) 432-6211
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Land Records: 1788
- Probate Records: 1839
- Pike County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Pike County Hall of Justice, 172 Division St., P.O. Box 1002, Pikeville, KY 41502-1002
- Phone: (606) 433-7557
- Court Records: 1822
- Pike County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Pike County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Pike County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pike County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Pike County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Pike Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pike Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pike Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pike Co. KY Census Records
Pike Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pike Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Pike Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pike Co. KY General and History Websites
Pike Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Pike Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pike Co. KY Military Records