Dickenson County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Dickenson County, Virginia Facts
Dickenson County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Dickenson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Dickenson County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Dickenson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Dickenson Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Dickenson County Health Department, PO Box 768, 334 Brush Creek Rd, Clintwood, Va 24228; Phone: 276-926-4979
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Dickenson County, VA Census Records
What Dickenson County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Dickenson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Dickenson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Dickenson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1880. Dickenson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Dickenson County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Dickenson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Dickenson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Dickenson County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: Box 190, 293 Clintwood Main Street, Clintwood, VA 24228-0190
- Phone: (276) 926-1616
- Marriage Records: 1880
- Land Records: 1880
- Court Records: 1880
- Probate Records: 1880
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Dickenson County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Dickenson County, VA?
A list of Dickenson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- The Virginia Baptist Historical Society
- Jonnie B. Deel Memorial Library, 198 Chase Street, P.O. Box 650, Clintwood, VA 24228; (703) 926-6617
- Southwest Virginia Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 12485, Roanoke, VA 24026-2485
- History Museum & Historical Society of Western Virginia, P.O. Box 1904, Roanoke, VA 24008; (540) 342-5770
- Mountain People and Places, 1562 Hughes Hollow Road, Clintwood, VA 24228
- Dickenson Historical Society, P.O. Box 323, Clintwood, VA 24228
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Dickenson County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Dickenson Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Dickenson County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dickenson County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Dickenson County
- Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Dickenson County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Dickenson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.