Russell County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Russell County, Virginia Facts
When was Russell County, VA Created?
Russell County was established on January 06, 1786 from Washington County .
Russell County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Russell County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Russell County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Russell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Russell Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Russell County District Headquarters, PO Box 2347, 75 Rogers St, Lebanon, Va 24266; 276-889-7621
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Russell County, VA Census Records
What Russell County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Russell County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Russell Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Russell Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Russell Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Russell County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Russell County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Russell County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Russell County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P. O. Box 435, 53 East Main Street, Lebanon, VA 24266-0435
- Phone: (276) 889-8023
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1768
- Court Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1786
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes – County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia’s counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia’s counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library’s collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Russell County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Russell County, VA?
A list of Russell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Russell County Public Library, 203 N.W. Main Street, P.O. Box 247, Lebanon, VA 24266, (540) 889-8044
- Russell County Historical Society, P.O. Box 313, Honaker, VA 24260, (703) 873-5246
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Russell County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Russell Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Russell County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Russell County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Russell County
- Russell County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Russell County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Russell County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.