Marshall County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Marshall County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Marshall Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Marshall County was established on June 1, 1842 from Calloway County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Marshall, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (1801–1835) .
Currently the Marshall County Seat is situated in Benton additionally, the county government website is www.marshallcounty.net
Locations adjacent to Marshall County happen to be Livingston County (north), Lyon County (northeast), Trigg County (east), Calloway County (south), Graves County (west), McCracken County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Marshall County comprise of Benton, Calvert City, Hardin, Possum Trot.
Marshall County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marshall Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Marshall Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Marshall County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Marshall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Marshall County Archives - Genealogical and Historical Society, P.O. Box 373, 1100 Main Street, Benton, KY 42025-1450; (270) 527-4749
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marshall County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Marshall County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marshall County
- Marshall County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Marshall County
- KYMARSHA. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Marshall County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase-LORE. A mailing list anyone with a genealogical interest in 19th and early-20th century familiy stories and lore in the Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. This list is dedicated more to preserving the historical background of families in the Jackson Purchase area than to "names and dates" genealogy, which can be posted to the KYJacksonPurchase list discussed above. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Marshall County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Marshall County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Marshall County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Marshall county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Records were lost in two courthouse disasters in 1888 and Dec 1914.
- Marshalld County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 1101 Main Street, Benton, KY, 42025
- Phone: (270) 527-4740
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Land Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1848
- Marshall County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Marshall County Judicial Building, 80 Judicial Drive, Unit 101, Benton, KY 42025
- Phone: (270) 527-1721
- Court Records: 1848
- Marshall County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Marshall County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Marshall County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marshall County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Marshall County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Marshall Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marshall Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marshall Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marshall Co. KY Census Records
Marshall Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marshall Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Marshall Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marshall Co. KY General and History Websites
Marshall Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Marshall Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marshall Co. KY Military Records