Lewis County, Kentucky
Lewis County was established on December 2, 1806 from Mason County. Currently the county was named in honor of Meriwether Lewis (1774–1809), explorer .
Currently the Lewis County Seat is situated in Vanceburg additionally, the county government website is lewiscounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Lewis County happen to be Adams County, Ohio (north), Scioto County, Ohio (northeast), Greenup County (east), Carter County (southeast), Rowan County (south), Fleming County (southwest), Mason County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Lewis County comprise of Concord, Vanceburg, Tollesboro, Cabin Creek, Garrison, Ribolt.
Lewis County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lewis County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Lewis County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lewis Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lewis Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lewis Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lewis Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lewis County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lewis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Lewis County Historical Society, 39 Market Street, P.O. Box 212, Vanceburg, Ky. 41179-1115 (Our building is still located at the same place but due to the 911 enhancement most of the addresses in Lewis County have been changed.)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lewis County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lewis County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lewis County
- Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lewis County
- KYLEWIS. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lewis County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Lewis County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYLEWIS-NEWSPAPERS. A mailing list for the posting of newspaper articles in the public domain from Lewis County, Kentucky, newspapers that will help others in their genealogical research in Lewis County. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode)
Lewis County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Lewis County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lewis County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Lewis County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Lewis County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Vanceburg, KY, 41179
- Phone: (606) 796-3062
- Marriage Records: 1807
- Land Records: 1807
- Probate Records: 1807
- Lewis County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Lewis County Justice Center, 94 2nd St., P.O. Box 70, Vanceburg, KY 41179-0070
- Phone: (606) 796-3053
- Court Records: 1807
- Lewis County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Lewis County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Lewis County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lewis County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Lewis County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Lewis Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lewis Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lewis Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lewis Co. KY Census Records
Lewis Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lewis Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Lewis Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lewis Co. KY General and History Websites
Lewis Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Lewis Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lewis Co. KY Military Records