Letcher County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Letcher County, Kentucky Facts
When was Letcher County, KY Created?
Letcher County was created on March 3, 1842 from Perry County and Harlan County. Currently the county was named in honor of Robert P. Letcher, fifteenth Governor of Kentucky (1840–1844) .
What is the County Seat of Letcher County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Whitesburg additionally, the county government website is www.letchercounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Letcher County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Knott County (northwest), Pike County (northeast), Wise County, Virginia (southeast), Harlan County (south), Perry County (southwest).
What cities and towns are in Letcher County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Blackey, Fleming-Neon, Jenkins, McRoberts, Whitesburg.
Letcher County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Letcher County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Letcher County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Letcher County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Letcher County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Letcher County, KY Census Records
What Letcher County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Letcher County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Letcher Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Letcher Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Letcher Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Letcher Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Letcher County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Letcher County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Letcher County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Letcher County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Letcher County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 156 Main St. Ste.102, Whitesburg, KY, 41858
- Phone: (606) 632-9282
- Marriage Records: 1842
- Land Records: 1842
- Probate Records: 1866
- Letcher County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Letcher County Courthouse, 156 Main St., Suite 201, Whitesburg, KY 41858
- Phone: (606) 633-7559
- Court Records: 1866
- Letcher County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Letcher County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Letcher County USGenWeb Archives Project
Letcher County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Letcher County, KY?
A list of Letcher County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Letcher County Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 312, Whitesburg KY 41858
Where can I connect with other Letcher County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Letcher County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Letcher County
- Letcher County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Letcher County
- KYLETCHE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Letcher County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Letcher County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Letcher County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Letcher Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Letcher Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- EAST-KY-CEMETERIES. A mailing list for the posting of information on cemeteries in the eastern part of Kentucky (i.e., Harlan, Leslie, Letcher, Clay, Perry, and Bell Counties) including their location, timeframe, and monument descriptions. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Letcher Co., Kentucky Graves (findagrave.com)
- Letcher County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Letcher Co., Kentucky Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Letcher Co., Kentucky Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Letcher County, Kentucky Church Books (amazon.com)
Letcher Co. KY General and History Websites
Letcher Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Letcher Co. KY Military Records