Letcher County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Letcher County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Letcher Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Letcher County was established on March 3, 1842 from Perry County and Harlan County. Currently the county was named in honor of Robert P. Letcher, fifteenth Governor of Kentucky (1840–1844) .
Currently the Letcher County Seat is situated in Whitesburg additionally, the county government website is www.letchercounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Letcher County happen to be Knott County (northwest), Pike County (northeast), Wise County, Virginia (southeast), Harlan County (south), Perry County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Letcher County comprise of Blackey, Fleming-Neon, Jenkins, McRoberts, Whitesburg.
Letcher County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Letcher Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Letcher Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Letcher Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Letcher Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Letcher County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Letcher County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Letcher County Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 312, Whitesburg KY 41858
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Letcher County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Letcher County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Letcher County
- Letcher County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Letcher County
- KYLETCHE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Letcher County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Letcher County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Letcher County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Letcher County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Letcher County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Letcher County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 156 Main St. Ste.102, Whitesburg, KY, 41858
- Phone: (606) 632-9282
- Marriage Records: 1842
- Land Records: 1842
- Probate Records: 1866
- Letcher County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Letcher County Courthouse, 156 Main St., Suite 201, Whitesburg, KY 41858
- Phone: (606) 633-7559
- Court Records: 1866
- Letcher County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Letcher County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Letcher County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Letcher County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Letcher County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Letcher Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Letcher Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Letcher Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Letcher Co. KY Census Records
Letcher Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
- See Also Statewide Cemetery Records for Kentucky
- EAST-KY-CEMETERIES. A mailing list for the posting of information on cemeteries in the eastern part of Kentucky (i.e., Harlan, Leslie, Letcher, Clay, Perry, and Bell Counties) including their location, timeframe, and monument descriptions. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Letcher Co., Kentucky Graves (findagrave.com)
- Letcher County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Letcher Co., Kentucky Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Letcher County, Kentucky (topozone.com)
- Letcher Co., Kentucky Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Letcher Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Letcher Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Letcher Co. KY General and History Websites
Letcher Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Letcher Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Letcher Co. KY Military Records