Harlan County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Harlan County, Kentucky Facts
What is the County Seat of Harlan County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Harlan additionally, the county government website is unknown
Harlan County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Harlan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Harlan County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Harlan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Harlan County, KY Census Records
What Harlan County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Harlan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Harlan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Harlan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harlan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harlan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Harlan County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Harlan County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Harlan County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Harlan County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Harland County Clerk
- Address: 210 E. Central St., Harlan, KY, 40831
- Phone: (606) 573-3636
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Land Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1829
- Harlan County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Harlan County Justice Center, 129 S. 1st St., P.O. Box 190, Harlan, KY 40831-0190
- Phone: (606) 573-7114
- Court Records: 1821
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Harlan County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Harlan County USGenWeb Archives Project
Harlan County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harlan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Harlan County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1498, Harlan KY 40831
- Harlan Heritage Seekers, P.O. Box 853, Harlan KY 40831
Where can I connect with other Harlan County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Harlan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harlan County
- Harlan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYHARLAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Harlan, Leslie, and Bell Counties, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EAST-KY-CEMETERIES. A mailing list for the posting of information on cemeteries in the eastern part of Kentucky (i.e., Harlan, Leslie, Letcher, Clay, Perry, and Bell Counties) including their location, timeframe, and monument descriptions. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Harlan County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harlan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.