Harlan County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Harlan County, Kentucky Facts
When was Harlan County, KY Created?
Harlan County was created on January 28, 1819 from Knox County (portions of its territory went to form Letcher, Bell, and Leslie counties). Currently the county was named in honor of Silas Harlan (1753–1782), army major in the Battle of Blue Licks.
What is the County Seat of Harlan County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Harlan additionally, the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Harlan County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Perry County (north), Letcher County (northeast), Wise County, Virginia (east), Lee County, Virginia (southeast), Bell County (southwest), Leslie County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Harlan County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Benham, Cumberland, Dayhoit, Evarts, Harlan, Loyall, Lynch, South Wallins, Wallins Creek.
Harlan County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Harlan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Harlan County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Harlan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Harlan County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Harlan County, KY Census Records
What Harlan County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Harlan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Harlan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Harlan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harlan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harlan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Harlan County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Harlan County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Harlan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Harlan County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. The courthouse burned in Oct 1863, but the county clerk's records were saved.
- Harland County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases, entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets, inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans, insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 210 E. Central St., Harlan, KY, 40831
- Phone: (606) 573-3636
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Land Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1829
- Harlan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Harlan County Justice Center, 129 S. 1st St., P.O. Box 190, Harlan, KY 40831-0190
- Phone: (606) 573-7114
- Court Records: 1821
- Harlan County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Harlan County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Harlan County USGenWeb Archives Project
Harlan County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harlan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Harlan County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1498, Harlan KY 40831
- Harlan Heritage Seekers, P.O. Box 853, Harlan KY 40831
Where can I connect with other Harlan County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Harlan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harlan County
- Harlan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Harlan County
- KYHARLAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Harlan, Leslie, and Bell Counties, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EAST-KY-CEMETERIES. A mailing list for the posting of information on cemeteries in the eastern part of Kentucky (i.e., Harlan, Leslie, Letcher, Clay, Perry, and Bell Counties) including their location, timeframe, and monument descriptions. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Harlan County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harlan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Harlan Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Harlan Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Harlan Co. KY General and History Websites
Harlan Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Harlan Co. KY Military Records