Fulton County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Fulton County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Fulton Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Fulton County was established on January 15, 1845 from Hickman County. Currently the county was named in honor of Robert Fulton (1765–1815), inventor of the first commercially successful steamboat.
Currently the Fulton County Seat is situated in Hickman additionally, the county government website is www.fultoncounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Fulton County happen to be Mississippi County, Missouri (northwest), Hickman County (northeast), Obion County, Tennessee (south), Lake County, Tennessee (southwest), New Madrid County, Missouri (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Fulton County comprise of Fulton, Hickman.
Fulton County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fulton Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Fulton Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Fulton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fulton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Fulton County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1031, Fulton, Kentucky 42041-1031
- KYFULTON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Fulton County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase-LORE. A mailing list anyone with a genealogical interest in 19th and early-20th century familiy stories and lore in the Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. This list is dedicated more to preserving the historical background of families in the Jackson Purchase area than to "names and dates" genealogy, which can be posted to the KYJacksonPurchase list discussed above. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fulton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Fulton County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fulton County
- Fulton County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fulton County
Fulton County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Fulton County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Fulton County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Fulton County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Fulton County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 2216 Myron Cory Dr., Hickman, KY, 42050
- Phone: (270) 236-2727
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Land Records: 1845
- Probate Records: 1845
- Fulton County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Fulton County Courthouse, 114 E. Wellington St., P.O. Box 198, Hickman, KY 42050-0198
- Phone: (270) 236-3944
- Court Records: 1845
- Fulton County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Fulton County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Fulton County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Fulton County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Fulton County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Fulton Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fulton Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fulton Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fulton Co. KY Census Records
Fulton Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fulton Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Fulton Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fulton Co. KY General and History Websites
Fulton Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Fulton Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fulton Co. KY Military Records