Hickman County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hickman County, Kentucky Facts
When was Hickman County, KY Created?
Hickman County was created on December 19, 1821 from Caldwell County and Livingston County. (Although Hickman was created in 1821, county administration didn’t become effective until 1822).
Hickman County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Hickman County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hickman County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hickman County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Hickman County, KY Census Records
What Hickman County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hickman County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hickman Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Hickman Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hickman Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hickman Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Hickman County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hickman County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Hickman County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hickman County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hickman County Clerk
- Address: 110 East Clay Street, Clinton, KY, 42031
- Phone: (270) 653-2131
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Land Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1822
- Hickman County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Hickman County Courthouse Annex, 109 S. Washington St., Clinton, KY 42031
- Phone: (270) 653-3901
- Court Records: 1822
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Hickman County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Hickman County USGenWeb Archives Project
Hickman County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hickman County, KY?
A list of Hickman County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Hickman County Historical & Genealogical Society, 334 Piper Drive, Clinton KY 42301
Where can I connect with other Hickman County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hickman County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hickman County
- Hickman County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYHICKMA. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Hickman County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Hickman County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hickman County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.