Clark County, Kentucky
Clark County was established on December 6, 1792 from Bourbon County and Fayette County. Currently the county was named in honor of George Rogers Clark (1752–1818), Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Clark County Seat is situated in Winchester additionally, the county government website is www.winchesterky.com
Locations adjacent to Clark County happen to be Bourbon County (north), Montgomery County (northeast), Powell County & Estill County (southeast), Madison County (southwest), Fayette County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Clark County comprise of Winchester.
Clark County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clark County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Clark County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clark Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Clark Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clark Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clark Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Clark County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clark County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Clark County Historical Society, 122 Belmont Avenue,
Winchester, KY 40391
- KYCLARK. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Clark County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- southeasternkentuckyroots. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Perry County, Kentucky, cemeteries and southeastern Kentucky genealogy (e.g., Perry, Knott, Clay, and Clark Counties). You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southeasternkentuckyroots/ or by sending the following to southeasternkentuckyroots-subscribe@yahoogroup s.com: subscribe
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clark County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Clark County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clark County
- Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clark County
Clark County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Clark County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clark County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Clark County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Clark County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 34 S. Main St., Winchester, KY, 40392
- Phone: (859) 745-0280
- Marriage Records: 1793
- Land Records: 1793
- Probate Records: 1793
- Clark County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Governor James Clark Judicial Center, 17 Cleveland Ave., P.O. Box 687, Winchester, KY 40392-0687
- Phone: (859) 737-7264
- Court Records: 1793
- Clark County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Clark County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Clark County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clark County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Clark County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Clark Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clark Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clark Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clark Co. KY Census Records
Clark Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clark Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Clark Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clark Co. KY General and History Websites
Clark Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Clark Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clark Co. KY Military Records