Lee County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Lee County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Lee Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Lee County was founded on February 27, 1839 from Ogle County. This county was named for "Light Horse" Henry Lee III (1756-1818), American Revolutionary War officer and ninth Governor of Virginia.
The Lee County Seat is located in Dixon also, the county government website is www.countyoflee.org .
Areas bordering to Lee County are Ogle County (north), DeKalb County (east), LaSalle County (southeast), Bureau County (southwest), Whiteside County (west)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Lee County include Amboy, Ashton, Compton, Dixon, Franklin Grove, Harmon, Henkel, Nelson, Paw Paw, Steward, Sublette, Walton, West Brooklyn.
Townships located in Lee County include Lee Center, Hamilton, Harmon, East Grove, Bradford, Brooklyn, Ashton, Alto, Amboy, China, Dixon, Palmyra, May, Marion, Nelson, Nachusa, South Dixon, Reynolds, Viola, Sublette, Willow Creek, Wyoming.
Lee County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lee Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lee Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lee County Genealogical Society, 111 South Hennepin Ave, Dixon, IL 61021-0063; Phone: 815-288-6702
- Lee County Historical Society, 113 Madison Avenue, PO Box 58, Dixon, IL 61021-0058; PHONE: (815) 284-1134
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Lee County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lee County
- Lee County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lee County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lee County
Lee County Courthouse and Government Records
Lee County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Lee County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Lee County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Lee County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Lee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 112 East 2nd St, Dixon, IL 6102
- Lee County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 815-288-3309
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1838
- Lee County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-284-5234
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1840
- Lee County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Lee County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Lee County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Lee County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lee Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lee Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lee Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lee Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lee Co. IL Census Records
Lee Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lee Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Lee Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lee Co. IL General and History Websites
Lee Co. IL Military Records