Edwards County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Edwards County, Illinois Facts
When was Edwards County, IL Created?
Edwards County was established on November 28, 1814 from Gallatin County and Madison County. This county was named for Ninian Edwards (1775–1833), third Governor of the State of Illinois and only governor of the Illinois Territory.
What is the County Seat of Edwards County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Albion (prior county seats was Palmyra from 1814–1821) also, the county government website is unkown .
What counties are adjacent to Edwards County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Richland County, Wabash County, Gibson County, Indiana, White County, Wayne County
What cities and towns are in Edwards County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Albion, Grayville (north half), Bone Gap, Browns, West Salem
What Townships are in Edgar County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Edwards No. 1, Albion No. 2, Albion No. 3, Bone Gap, Browns, Dixon, Ellery, French Creek, Salem No. 1, Salem No. 2, Shelby No. 1, Shelby No. 2.
Edwards County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Edwards County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Edwards County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Edwards County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Edwards County, IL Census Records
What Edwards County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Edwards County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Edwards Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Edwards Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Edwards Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Edwards County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Edwards County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Edwards County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Edwards County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Edwards County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 50 E. Main St., Albion, IL 62806
- Edwards County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 618-445-2115
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1815
- Edwards County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 618-445-2016
- Probate Records: 1815
- Court Records: 1815
- Edwards County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Edwards County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Edwards County, IL?
A list of Edwards County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Edwards County Historical Society, 9 North Fifth Street, Albion, IL 62806
- Eastern Illinois University, Booth Library, 600 Lincoln Ave, Charleston, IL 61920; (217) 581-6093
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Edwards County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Edwards County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Edwards County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Edwards Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Edwards Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Edwards Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Edwards Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Edwards Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Edwards County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Edwards County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Edwards, Lawrence, and Wabash Counties, Illinois History (search.ancestry.com)
- Combined history of Edwards, Lawrence and Wabash Counties, Illinois : with illustrations descriptive of their scenery and biogr (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the English settlement in Edwards County, Illinois, founded in 1817 and 1818, by Morris Birkbeck and George Flower (search.ancestry.com)
- Edwards County, Illinois History of the English Settlement (search.ancestry.com)
- Edwards County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Edwards Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Edwards County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Edwards (cyndislist.com)
- Edwards County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Edwards Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Edwards County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Edwards Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Edwards Co. IL Military Records
Edwards Co. IL Schools & Directories