Edgar County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Edgar County, Illinois Facts
When was Edgar County, IL Created?
Edgar County was established on January 3, 1823 from Clark County. This county was named for John Edgar (c. 1750–1832), Illinois delegate to the Northwest Territory legislature; at time, wealthiest man in Illinois .
What is the County Seat of Edgar County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Paris also, the county government website is www.edgarcountyillinois.com .
What counties are adjacent to Edgar County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Vermilion County (north), Vermillion County, Indiana (northeast), Vigo County, Indiana (southeast), Clark County (south), Coles County (southwest), Douglas County (northwest), Champaign County (northwest)
What cities and towns are in Edgar County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Chrisman, Paris, Brocton, Hume, Kansas, Metcalf, Redmon, Vermilion.
What Townships are in Edgar County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Kansas, Hunter, Embarrass, Edgar, Elbridge, Grandview, Buck, Brouilletts Creek, Prairie, Paris, Shiloh, Ross, Stratton, Symmes, Young America.
Edgar County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Edgar County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Edgar County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Edgar County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Edgar County, IL Census Records
What Edgar County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Edgar County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Edgar Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Edgar Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Edgar Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Edgar County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Edgar County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Edgar County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Edgar County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Edgar County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 W. Court St., Paris, IL 61944-1785
- Edgar County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-466-7433
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1823
- Edgar County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-466-7447
- Probate Records: 1823
- Court Records: 1823
- Edgar County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Edgar County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Edgar County, IL?
A list of Edgar County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Edgar County Genealogical Society, 408 N. Main St., Paris IL 61944; 217-463-4209
- Eastern Illinois University, Booth Library, 600 Lincoln Ave, Charleston, IL 61920; (217) 581-6093
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Edgar County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Edgar County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Edgar County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Edgar Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Edgar Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Edgar Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Edgar Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Edgar Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Edgar County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Edgar County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Historical encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Edgar County (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Vermilion and Edgar Counties, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical ske (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Edgar County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., directory of its tax-payers (search.ancestry.com)
- Edgar County, Illinois History (search.ancestry.com)
- Redmon : on the edge of the prairie. (search.ancestry.com)
- Edgar County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Edgar Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Edgar County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Edgar (cyndislist.com)
- Edgar County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Edgar Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Edgar County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Edgar Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Edgar Co. IL Military Records