OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Vermilion County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Vermilion County, Illinois Facts
When was Vermilion County, IL Created?
Vermilion County was established on January 18, 1826.
What is the County Seat of Vermilion County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Danville (prior county seats was held at the home of James Butler and Asa Elliott from 1826–1827) also, the county government website is www.co.vermilion.il.us .
What counties are adjacent to Vermilion County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Iroquois County, Benton County, Indiana, Warren County, Indiana, Vermillion County, Indiana, Edgar County, Douglas County, Champaign County, Ford County
Vermilion County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Vermilion County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Vermilion County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Vermilion County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Vermilion County, IL Census Records
What Vermilion County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Vermilion County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Vermilion Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Vermilion Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Vermilion Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Vermilion County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Vermilion County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Vermilion County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Illinois residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Vermilion County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Vermilion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 6 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832–5879
- Vermilion County Clerk
- Phone: 217-431-2607
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- ????? County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 217-431-2604
- Land Records:1826
- Vermilion County Clerk of the Circuit Court,
- Phone: 217-431-2540
- Probate Records: 1826
- Court Records: 1826
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- BLM Land Records
Vermilion County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Vermilion County, IL?
A list of Vermilion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Catlin Historical Society, 210 North Paris, Catlin, Illinois 61817; 217-427-5766
- Illiana Genealogical & Historical Society, 215 W. North St., Danville, Illinois
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Vermilion County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Illinois Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Vermilion County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Vermilion County
- Vermilion County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Vermilion County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Vermilion County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Vermilion Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Illinois Links and Information
- Vermilion Co. D.O.T. Map
- Map of Vermilion County and its civil and congressional townships
- Vermilion Federal Township Plats of Illinois (1804-1891) (landplats.ilsos.net)
- 1892 Vermilion Co., IL Railroad Map (usgwarchives.net)
- 1895 Vermilion County Map (livgenmi.com)
Vermilion Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Illinois Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Illinois historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 – 1922) (genealogybank.com) Quickly identify names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements and also other items published in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Unique articles and other content added each and every month!
- Vermilion County, Illinois Books (amazon.com)
- Search Illinois Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Vermilion Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
- East Lynn & Rankin Union Cemeteries: Vermillion County, IL (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermilion Co., Illinois Graves (findagrave.com)
- Vermilion County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Vermilion Co., Illinois Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Vermilion Co., Illinois Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Vermilion County, Illinois Church Books (amazon.com)
Vermilion Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Index to names in twenty-six volumes of Illinois records (search.ancestry.com)
- The Illinois Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Vermilion Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Vermilion County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Vermilion County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Vermilion County, Illinois : a tale of its evolution, settlement, and progress for nearly a century (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Vermilion County : together with historic notes on the Northwest, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscrip (search.ancestry.com)
- The past and present of Vermilion County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Vermilion and Edgar Counties, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical ske (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Vermilion County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of pro (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermilion County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Vermilion Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Vermilion County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Illinois – Counties – Vermilion (cyndislist.com)
- Vermilion County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Vermilion Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Vermilion County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Vermilion Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Vermilion Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records Research Guide
- U.S. National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938 (search.ancestry.com)
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Vermilion County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Vermilion Co. IL Schools & Directories
- Danville, Illinois Directory, 1889 (search.ancestry.com)