Adams County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Adams County, Illinois genealogy and family history research. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you trace your Adams Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Adams County was founded on January 13, 1825 from Pike County (portions of present area was formerly included in Pike County (1821–1825), Madison County (1812–1821), St. Clair County (1795–1812)). This county was named for John Quincy Adams (1767–1848), sixth President of the United States .
The Adams County Seat is located in Quincy (1825–present) also, the county government website is www.co.adams.il.us .
Areas bordering to Adams County are Hancock County (north), Brown County (east), Schuyler County (east), Pike County (southeast), Marion County, Missouri (west), Lewis County, Missouri (west)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Adams County include Quincy, Camp Point, Clayton, Coatsburg, Columbus, Golden, La Prairie, Liberty, Lima, Loraine, Mendon, Payson, Plainville, Ursa.
Townships located in Adams County include Beverly, Burton, Camp Point, Clayton, Columbus, Concord, Ellington, Fall Creek, Gilmer, Honey Creek, Houston, Keene, Liberty, Lima, McKee, Melrose, Mendon, Northeast, Payson, Quincy, Richfield, Riverside, Ursa.
Adams County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Adams Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Adams County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Adams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Great River Genealogical Society, c/o Quincy Public Library, 526 Jersey Street, Quincy, IL 62301-3996
- Historical Society of Quincy & Adams County, 425 South 12th Street, Quincy, IL 62301-4303; Phone: (217) 222-1835
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Adams County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Adams County
- Adams County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Adams County
- USGenWeb Archives for Adams County
Adams County Courthouse and Government Records
Adams County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Adams County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Adams County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Adams county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Some records lost or damaged in a fire on December 9, 1835. Second courthouse was destroyed by fire January 9, 1875. Third Courthouse was damaged beyond repair by a tornado that roared thru Quincy April 12, 1945.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Adams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 507 Vermont St., Quincy, IL 62301
- Adams County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-277-2150 - County Clerk; 217-277-2126 - Recorder
- Marriage Records: 1825
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1817
- Adams County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-277-2100
- Probate Records: 1826
- Court Records: 1825
- Adams County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Adams County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Adams County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Adams County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Adams Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Adams Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Adams Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Adams Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Adams Co. IL Census Records
Adams Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Adams Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Adams Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Adams Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Adams County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Adams County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Adams County Complete Section (co.adams.il.us)
- Quincy and Adams County history and representative men (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Adams County, Illinois : containing history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., a biographical directory of (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of the city of Quincy and Adams County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Adams County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative c (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Quincy and its men of mark, or, Facts and figures exhibiting its advantages and resources, manufactures and commerce (search.ancestry.com)
- Adams County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Adams Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Adams County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Adams (cyndislist.com)
- Adams County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Adams Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Adams County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Adams Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Adams Co. IL Military Records
Adams Co. IL Schools & Directories