Adams County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Adams County, Illinois Facts
When was Adams County, IL Created?
Adams County was established on January 13, 1825 from Pike County (portions of present area was formerly included in Pike County (1821–1825), Madison County (1812–1821), St. Clair County (1795–1812)). This county was named for John Quincy Adams (1767–1848), sixth President of the United States .
What is the County Seat of Adams County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Quincy (1825–present) also, the county government website is www.co.adams.il.us .
What counties are adjacent to Adams County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Hancock County (north), Brown County (east), Schuyler County (east), Pike County (southeast), Marion County, Missouri (west), Lewis County, Missouri (west)
What cities and towns are in Adams County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Quincy, Camp Point, Clayton, Coatsburg, Columbus, Golden, La Prairie, Liberty, Lima, Loraine, Mendon, Payson, Plainville, Ursa.
What Townships are in Adams County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Beverly, Burton, Camp Point, Clayton, Columbus, Concord, Ellington, Fall Creek, Gilmer, Honey Creek, Houston, Keene, Liberty, Lima, McKee, Melrose, Mendon, Northeast, Payson, Quincy, Richfield, Riverside, Ursa.
Adams County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Adams County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Adams County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Adams County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Adams County, IL Census Records
What Adams County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Adams Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Adams County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Adams County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Adams County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Adams County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some records lost or damaged in a fire on December 9, 1835. Second courthouse was destroyed by fire January 9, 1875. Third Courthouse was damaged beyond repair by a tornado that roared thru Quincy April 12, 1945.
- Adams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 507 Vermont St., Quincy, IL 62301
- Adams County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-277-2150 - County Clerk; 217-277-2126 - Recorder
- Marriage Records: 1825
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1817
- Adams County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-277-2100
- Probate Records: 1826
- Court Records: 1825
- Adams County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Adams County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Adams County, IL?
A list of Adams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Great River Genealogical Society, c/o Quincy Public Library, 526 Jersey Street, Quincy, IL 62301-3996
- Historical Society of Quincy & Adams County, 425 South 12th Street, Quincy, IL 62301-4303; Phone: (217) 222-1835
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Adams County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Adams County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Adams County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Adams Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Adams Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Adams Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Adams Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Adams Co. IL General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Illinois
- Adams County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Adams County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Adams County Complete Section (co.adams.il.us)
- Quincy and Adams County history and representative men (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of Adams County, Illinois : containing history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., a biographical directory of (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of the city of Quincy and Adams County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Adams County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative c (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Quincy and its men of mark, or, Facts and figures exhibiting its advantages and resources, manufactures and commerce (search.ancestry.com)
- Adams County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Adams Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Adams County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Adams (cyndislist.com)
- Adams County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Adams Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Adams County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Adams Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Adams Co. IL Military Records
Adams Co. IL Schools & Directories