Manatee County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
Manatee County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Manatee Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Manatee County Facts
- Government Website: www.mymanatee.org
- Created Date / Origin: January 9, 1855 from Hillsborough County
- County Seat: Bradenton
- Named After: The Manatee, or sea cow, is native to Floridian waters
- Bordering Counties: Hillsborough County (north), Polk County (northeast), Hardee County (east), De Soto County (southeast), Sarasota County (south)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Holmes Beach, Longboat Key, Palmetto
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- It was named for the Manatee or Sea Cow which was then plentiful along the coasts and rivers of the section.
- Gamble Mansion, near Bradenton, was the place of refuge of Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of State of Confederacy, while eluding Federal troops after the collapse of the Confederacy.
- Baden Castle is also a point of great interest to visitors.
Manatee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Manatee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Manatee County Historical Society, 604 15th St., Bradenton, FL 34208
- Manatee County Historical Records Library, 1405 4th Ave. West, Bradenton, FL 34205; 941-741-4070
- Manasota Genealogical Society, 1405 4th Ave North, Bradenton, FL 33506
- Myakka City Historical Society, P.O. Box 500, Myakka City 34252
- Eaton Florida History Room, Manatee County Central Library, 1301 Barcarrota Blvd., Bradenton, FL 34217; 941-748-5555
- The Family Heritage House Museum , 1707 15th St. East, Bradenton, FL 34205
- Anna Maria Island Historical Society, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, FL 34216
- Manatee County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Manatee County
- Manatee County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Manatee County
- USGenWeb Archives for Manatee County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Manatee County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Manatee County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Manatee County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Manatee county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Manatee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 25400, Bradenton, FL 34206 or 1115 Manatee Avenue W., Bradenton, FL 34205
- Manatee County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (941) 749-1800
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1843
- Probate Records: 1857
- Court Records: 1858
- Manatee County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Manatee County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Manatee County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Manatee County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Manatee Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Manatee Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Manatee Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Manatee Co. FL Census Records
Manatee Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Manatee Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Manatee Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Manatee Co. FL General and History Websites
Manatee Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Manatee Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Manatee Co. FL Military Records
Manatee Co. FL Schools & Directories