Manatee County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Manatee County, Florida Facts
When was Manatee County, FL Created?
Manatee County was created on January 9, 1855 from Hillsborough County. This county was named for the Manatee, or sea cow, is native to Floridian waters.
What cities and towns are in Manatee County, FL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Holmes Beach, Longboat Key, Palmetto.
Manatee County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Manatee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Manatee County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Manatee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Manatee County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Manatee County, FL Census Records
What Manatee County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Manatee County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Manatee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Manatee Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Manatee Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1860.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Manatee County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Manatee County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Manatee County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Manatee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 25400, Bradenton, FL 34206 or 1115 Manatee Avenue W., Bradenton, FL 34205
- Manatee County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (941) 749-1800
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1843
- Probate Records: 1857
- Court Records: 1858
- Manatee County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Manatee County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Manatee County, FL?
A list of Manatee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Manatee County Historical Society, 604 15th St., Bradenton, FL 34208
- Manatee County Historical Records Library, 1405 4th Ave. West, Bradenton, FL 34205; 941-741-4070
- Manasota Genealogical Society, 1405 4th Ave North, Bradenton, FL 33506
- Myakka City Historical Society, P.O. Box 500, Myakka City 34252
- Eaton Florida History Room, Manatee County Central Library, 1301 Barcarrota Blvd., Bradenton, FL 34217; 941-748-5555
- The Family Heritage House Museum , 1707 15th St. East, Bradenton, FL 34205
- Anna Maria Island Historical Society, 402 Pine Ave., Anna Maria, FL 34216
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Manatee County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Manatee County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Manatee County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Manatee County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Manatee County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.