Mobile County, Alabama
Mobile County was created on Dec. 18, 1812 from Mobile District of West Florida after annexation into Mississippi Territory. This particular county was named for Fort Louis de la Mobile, a French fortification erected near Mount Vernon in 1702. The word Mobile is believed to come from a Choctaw Indian word for "paddlers.".
Currently the Mobile County Seat is located in Mobile and in addition the county government website is http://www.mobilecountyal.gov/
Locations adjacent Mobile County happen to be Washington County (north), Baldwin County (east), Jackson County, Mississippi (southwest), George County, Mississippi (west), Greene County, Mississippi (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Mobile County consist of Bayou La Batre, Chickasaw, Citronelle, Creola, Mobile, Prichard, Saraland, Satsuma, Semmes, Dauphin Island, Mount Vernon.
Mobile County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mobile County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Mobile County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mobile Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Mobile Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mobile Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mobile Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
The area was occupied by the French from 1702-63, by the British from 1763-80, and by the Spanish from 1780-1813.
Mobile County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mobile County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama (raogk.org)
- Mobile County Probate Archives, P.O. Box 7, Mobile, AL 36601; 251-574-4941
- Mobile Municipal Archives, 457 Church St., P.O. Box 1827, Mobile, AL 36633; 251-208-7740
- Mobile Genealogical Society, Inc, 1400 Joyce Road, Mobile (on the grounds of Holy Family Catholic Church), Mailing address: Box 6224, Mobile, AL 36660-6224; (251) 414-1995;
Publications: Deep South Genealogical Quarterly, MGS Newsletter
- Historic Mobile Preservation Society, 300 Oakleigh Place, Mobile, AL 36604; 251-432-6161
- Mobile Public Library, 334-208-7078
- AL-GRAND_BAY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Grand Bay, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- AL-GULF-COAST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Alabama gulf coast counties of Mobile, Baldwin, Washington, and Butler. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-BAYOU-LA-BATRE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Bayou La Batre, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- ALMOBILE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Mobile County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Mobile County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILEBAY. A mailing list, sponsored by the Mobile Genealogical Society, for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Mobile Bay, Alabama, area -- specifically Mobile and Baldwin Counties in Alabama plus the bordering counties in Mississippi (George, Greene, Jackson), Alabama (Clarke, Escambia, Monroe, Washington), and Florida (Escambia). Topics for the list include genealogical queries and discussions of resources having to do with the above counties and various time periods in the area's history such as the Louisiana Purchase (Mobile was the first capital of Louisiana), Spanish West Florida, the Confederate period, the Mississippi Territory, etc. In addition, "press releases" from genealogical societies and libraries in the aforementioned counties are welcome. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-DAUPHIN-ISLAND. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Dauphin Island, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-OBITS. A mailing list for the posting of obituaries from Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- AL-MOBILE-WHEELERVILLE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the town of Wheelerville, Mobile County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- MGS-MEMBERS. A mailing list for the members of the Mobile Genealogical Society. All MGS members with an email address are automatically subscribed to the list. You can check the benefits of membership in MGS by pointing your web browser to http://www.siteone.com/clubs/mgs/membrshp.htm. There you can also print out a membership application to send in via regular mail. If you do not have Internet access, send email to email@example.com with "MGS info, please" (without the quotes) as the subject and request additional information.
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mobile County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Mobile County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mobile County
- Mobile County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mobile County
Mobile County Courthouse and Government Records
Mobile County Courthouse
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Mobile County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details.
Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people.
The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Mobile County court records.
Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
There was record loss due to a Courthouse fires that occurred in 1823, 1840, and 1872.
Mobile County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Mobile County.
Mobile Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mobile Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mobile Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mobile Co. AL Census Records
Mobile Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mobile Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Mobile Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mobile Co. AL General and History Websites
Mobile Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Mobile Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mobile Co. AL Military Records
Mobile Co. AL Schools & Directories