Dallas County, Alabama Genealogy
Dallas County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Dallas Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Dallas County was created on Feb. 9, 1818, from portions of the Creek cession of Aug. 9, 1814, Monroe County and Montgomery County.. This particular county was named in honor of Alexander James Dallas (1759–1817), U.S. Secretary of Treasury.
Currently the Dallas County Seat was at Cahaba, which also served as the state capital for a brief period. In 1865, the county seat was transferred to Selma. In addition the county government website is http://www.dallascounty-al.org/
Locations adjacent Dallas County happen to be Chilton County (north), Autauga County (northeast), Lowndes County (southeast), Wilcox County (south), Marengo County (west), Perry County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Dallas County consist of Selma, Valley Grande, Orrville.
Dallas County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Dallas Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Dallas Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dallas Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dallas Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Dallas County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Dallas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Central Alabama Genealogical Society, PO Box 125, Selma, AL 36702
- Selma-Dallas County Historical and Preservation Society, P. O. Box 586, Selma, AL 36702-0586 ; Publication: Courier
- Black Belt African-American Genealogical and Historical Society, P. O. Box 971, Selma, AL 36702; Publication: monthly newsletter/quarterly journal
- Selma-Dallas Public Library; 334-874-1725
- ALDALLAS. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Dallas County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dallas County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Dallas County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Dallas County
- Dallas County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Dallas County
Dallas County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Dallas County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Dallas County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Dallas County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Dallas County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P.O. Box 997, Selma, AL 36702-0997
- Phone: (334) 874-4401
- Court Records: 1821
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Dallas County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 997, Selma, AL 36702-0997
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1818 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1821
- Land Records: 1818
- Dallas Tax Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Dallas County Health Department has Birth Records from delayed birth Cert. rec. 1880-1930 , Death records from 1882-1888. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Dallas County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Dallas County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Dallas County genealogy or family history related sites.
Dallas Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dallas Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dallas Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dallas Co. AL Census Records
Dallas Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dallas Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Dallas Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dallas Co. AL General and History Websites
Dallas Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Dallas Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dallas Co. AL Military Records
Dallas Co. AL Schools & Directories