Cullman County, Alabama Genealogy
Cullman County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Cullman Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Cullman County was created on Jan. 24, 1877, from portions of Blount County, Morgan County, and Winston County. This particular county was named in honor of John G. Cullmann, a native of Germany who encouraged the immigration of Germans to northern Alabama.
Currently the Cullman County Seat is located in Cullman and in addition the county government website is http://www.co.cullman.al.us/
Locations adjacent Cullman County happen to be Morgan County (north), Marshall County (northeast), Blount County (east), Walkery County (southwest), Winston County (west), Lawrence County (northwest)
Cities and towns found in Cullman County consist of Arab, Ardell, Arkadelphia, Baileyton, Battleground, Berlin, Bethel, Bremen, Birdsong, Bolte, Brooklyn, Brushy Pond, Bug Tussle, Central, Clifty, Colony, Corinth, Crane Hill, Cullman, Dodge City, East Point, Etha, Fairview, Garden City, Goldridge, Good Hope, Goodwin, Hanceville, Harmony, Holly Pond, Jones Chapel, Joppa, Logan, Panama, Providence, Riverside, Simcoe, South Vinemont, Thrasher Crossroads, Trade, Trimble, Walter, Welti, West Point, Wheat, Wilburn.
Cullman County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Cullman Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 11880. Cullman Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Cullman Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Cullman County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cullman County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Cullman Historical Society, 2529 County Road 469, Cullman, AL 35057
- Cullman Public Library, Phone 256-734-2720
- Western Cullman County Heritage Pages
- North Central Alabama Genealogical Society, PO Box 13, Cullman, AL 35056-0013; Publication: Alabama Family History and Genealogy News
- ALCULLMA. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Cullman County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- CullmanCo_AL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Cullman County, Alabama. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CullmanCo_AL/ or by sending the following to email@example.com: subscribe
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cullman County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Cullman County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cullman County
- Cullman County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cullman County
Cullman County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Cullman County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Cullman County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Cullman County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Cullman County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 500 Second Avenue SW, Cullman, AL 35055
- Phone: (256) 739-3530
- Court Records: ?
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Cullman County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: P.O. Box 698, Cullman, AL 35056-0698
- Phone: (256) 739-3530
- Marriage Records: 1877 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1877
- Cullman County Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Address: 500 2nd Avenue SW, Cullman, AL 35055
- Phone: ?
- Cullman County Health Department has Birth Records from 1877, Death records from 1877. You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Cullman County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Cullman County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Cullman County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cullman Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cullman Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cullman Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cullman Co. AL Census Records
Cullman Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cullman Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Cullman Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cullman Co. AL General and History Websites
Cullman Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Cullman Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cullman Co. AL Military Records
Cullman Co. AL Schools & Directories