Lawrence County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lawrence County, Alabama Facts
When was Lawrence County, AL Created?
Lawrence County was created on Feb 6, 1818 from lands ceeded from the Cherokee and Chickasaw Cession of 1816..
Lawrence County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Lawrence County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lawrence County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lawrence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Lawrence County Health Department has Birth Records from N/A, Death records from N/A.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Lawrence County, AL Census Records
What Lawrence County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lawrence County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lawrence Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lawrence Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Lawrence County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Lawrence County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Lawrence County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lawrence County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Lawrence County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 310, Moulton, AL 35650
- Phone: (256) 974-2440
- Court Records: 1828
- Divorce Records:
- Lawrence County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: Courthouse, Moulton, AL 35650
- Phone: (256) 974-0663
- Marriage Records: 1828 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1818
- Land Records: 1818
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Lawrence County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Lawrence County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lawrence County, AL?
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lawrence County Archives, P. O. Box 728, 698 Main Street, Moulton, AL 35650; Phone: (256) 974-1757; Email: Lawcoarchives@aol.com. Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – Noon & 1-4 p.m., (closed on county holidays)
- Lawrence County Historical Commission, Box 728, Moulton, AL 35650-0728; 256-974-1757
Publication: Old Lawrence Reminiscences
- Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 1568, Huntsville, Alabama 35807
Publication: Valley Leaves
- ALLAWREN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lawrence County, Alabama. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Lawrence County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lawrence County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Lawrence County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lawrence County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.